• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So, we were having a good time playing JP late last night and getting tons of System Failures, and the auto launcher stops working. It has been fine since we got it in June, but the balls started stacking up in the shooter lane and wouldn't go anywhere. Took off the glass, did the tests, and the coil doesn't fire. I found the below thread (Lloyd is everywhere) while looking for info. I haven't checked the fuses yet, but don't know if there is a particular one to check.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.games.pinball/VqOoe0_xlbA

What should my first steps be to correct this? Check for fuses, then if that is ok order a coil? I have no idea what size/style to order despite already poking around on PinballLife. Any and all advice is appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

There is a coil test in your game, see if the auto launch coil is the only one not working, or if others aren't working.

If it's a fuse, your manual should have the information you need for amperage, or read the info on the metal cap of the one you pull out. ( and hope it's right ). On Pinball Life they will be the 1 1/4 inch kind.

If just the auto launch is out, check the coil for broken wires, especially the tiny ones coming off the coil to the coil lugs - dig around them, thoroughly to find cracks or breaks.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

We did the coil test, the auto launch is the only one not working. Everything else has been working fine both on diagnostics testing and game play until it just suddenly stopped launching mid game and would keep ejecting balls into the shooter lane.

I checked all fuses the other day when I did a battery swap, but I just didn't know if there was a specific fuse or area of fuses to check for the coil. I mean, there are ones in the cabinet and backbox, so didn't know where to start checking. I can do them all again if needed of course. I've got replacement fuses in my pin tool kit waiting if needed.

We pulled the playfield up and checked the area for broken wires, and didn't see anything. Everything looks properly soldered, and it was holding up fine through at least 10 games in a row with I know of 4 Sytem Failure modes (where it rapidly auto ejects 6 balls for 45 seconds) before it stopped mid-game.

#4 11 years ago

It's pretty rare for a coil to go bad. There's not much to them. I'd reflow the solder on the lugs first, but when you say it keeps kicking balls into the shooter lane it makes me think that the switch in your shooter lane might be bad too.

Start with the wiring. That's usually the issue when it goes bad during a long play session. Lots of sustained use and vibration can knock a wire off of the solder joint. Reflow and try again.

It COULD be a bad coil, but that's usually the least likely scenario.

Edit: Sometimes solder jobs look good, but they're cold. Give them a re-flow first.

#5 11 years ago

It kept shooting balls in because that is what the mode was supposed to do. It relaunches the balls back into play for that mode, and then when the clock ran down it stayed partially in that mode looking for 'lost balls' since they didn't drain (because they were in the shooter lane.) We took off the glass with the game still running, and it would start doing a ball search telling me how many were missing. I replaced one trough switch awhile back and everything has been fine. We ran the tests and then didn't start it back up to see what would happen on a new game since the coil wouldn't fire at all during testing. The gun appears fine, no damage to the trigger that I can see. It was being played for a good 2 hours before it suddenly stopped working mid-game, so nothing happened to it trauma-wise that I can determine.

#6 11 years ago

Oh, right. I was assuming it was at any point that it kept launching into the shooter lane.

Also, the wiring to the lug could be solid, but look to see if the lug itself is sound. Do you have a DMM that you can use to ground out the coil to see if it fires under that circumstance?

#7 11 years ago

When we get home from work, I'll fire it up and see what happens when it is cold. If it still doesn't work, we'll start checking out the wiring again.

#8 11 years ago

Also, check where the wire comes up from the lug to start winding around the coil. At times the wire can crack coming off of the lug. I've had that happen before.

#9 11 years ago

I don't know about DMMs and grounding, so I'll have husband check your post to see if he knows how to do that. I'm just learning how to diagnose/fix and what to look for, hence the regular cries for help on here. I really appreciate the info and we'll start with your suggestions for sure. I checked everything I knew to check at the time then came running here to the pros.

#10 11 years ago

It's alive!!!!

Came home, popped the hood, checked wires. They looked fine yesterday and today, but when I tugged a little bit on the purple one, it came out of the sleeve and out fell a piece of solder. It apparently snapped but was being held together by the sleeve so appeared fine. A quick solder job later (with no help from husband, so not great but I am learning) and it works. It is always stupidly satisfying fixing one on my own. (With internet help of course, and husband on stand-by.) Thanks again for the suggestions. Karma for all! image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Perfect!

Glad to hear it worked out. Jurassic Park was the first machine I ever owned aside from the one that was in the house I grew up in. It's still my favorite Data East game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-jurassic-park-jp-auto-launch-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.