You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
jane.jpeg
#1 11 years ago

Ok so I've just restored a JM. New harness on the hand. On my rotisserie it was working fine. Set the PF in the cabinet... Stopped working . Fails hand test. Switches x and y work .1st ? Is there a way to reset for test . Do I manually turn the threaded shafts to hit the default #s? I don't understand the test do you manually adjust ?

#2 11 years ago

Sounds like you're about to give Keanu Reeves a hand job.

#3 11 years ago

You'll never finish...that hand is way too slow.

#4 11 years ago

I'll crack the hand job jokes, you guys send the tech help

#5 11 years ago

I saw this post and the first thing that I thought, hey! I don't swing that way!

#6 11 years ago

JM you ignorant slut.

jane.jpegjane.jpeg

Sorry, I'd offer help, but I'm of no earthly good to you on this. Free bump at least.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Ok so I've just restored a JM. New harness on the hand. On my rotisserie it was working fine. Set the PF in the cabinet... Stopped working . Fails hand test. Switches x and y work .1st ? Is there a way to reset for test . Do I manually turn the threaded shafts to hit the default #s? I don't understand the test do you manually adjust ?

Sky, I never had a JM but i had a similar problem with MM. My drawbridge stopped working after i put it back in the cabinet. i guess lifting the playfield i snagged the power cable to the driver board and disconnected it. I didn't even think to look at it because i had never disconnected it before. Took me 2 hrs of nearly pulling my hair out. Check any and all connections to/from the hand. Seems trivial and you probably have already but it can't hurt to say it again.

Edit: Keith i just logged into pinballninja for you but he doesnt have anything up there i see you also have an account.. sorry i tried

#9 11 years ago

Thanks Alex,
I did ck all connections
Also joined pinball ninja hoping for some insight to this issue,

#10 11 years ago

On my JM I know there are a number of software adjustments for home position etc. but I ended up moving the whole assembly to get things right. The reason I went this way was that I was at the limits of adjustment and it still wasn't right and that was due to the whole mech being slightly out of place.

From memory there are a couple of bolts/screws? to undo right next to the 'thumb' of the glove and the whole mech can be adjusted in place without dismantling any further.

Once I did that, mine has worked without error ever since. Not sure if it is the same problem but worth a try at least?

#11 11 years ago

Explain "adjusted "if you can

#12 11 years ago

Does it attempt to move during the power on test? If so, it may be that the x nut is a bit worn and is binding.

#13 11 years ago

The old lady @ Tokyo Spa can help you

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Explain "adjusted "if you can

You will know what I mean when you loosen the two screws. It moves slightly in the assembly and as I said, finding a different position made quite a difference to mine.

#15 11 years ago

When I turn on the machine the hand moves back and forth slightly and tells me it's initializing
Does that mean x nut is worn?

#16 11 years ago

I hear if you use the other hand it plays like a whole different machine.

#17 11 years ago

I saw the thread title & thought it was Gerry!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

When I turn on the machine the hand moves back and forth slightly and tells me it's initializing
Does that mean x nut is worn?

No that's the normal testing mode. What errors, if any are you getting? If it's moving slightly in both directions upon start up you know that the motors are working. It could be that it's not sensing the motion which could be an opto issue. I can't remember which axis it tests firsts, but I might try switching the opto boards and seeing if the problem switches from one to the other (X to Y).

I'm just tossing that out there.

If it wasn't jumping before it stopped working I doubt it's the X or Y nuts. They seem to start skipping a bit and gradually get worse and worse. It wouldn't or shouldn't be a now it works perfectly now it doesn't type of thing.

#19 11 years ago

I tried switching the opto's earlier still the same . X moves about 10-12 times no movement on Y

#20 11 years ago

When I try the hand test in test mode it fails X at-4 Y at-227. Not sure what to do to rectify this

#21 11 years ago

Anything on the test report? If not, what happens when you start the game?

As far as switching the opto boards, if it's the X axis that tests first and the Y is broken switching the boards might not matter. It would then fail the X axis test and shut the hand down without ever testing the potential now fixed Y axis.

#22 11 years ago

Thanks ,
I went back and looked at the error message again. Y no progress.
Tried to give it a manual turn and noticed it was hanging up ever so slightly. Turns out the actuator that spins in the opto was not centered in the opto and hanging up. Centered it and wala! Johnny's a rocket. I'll port so finished photos soon. Thanks again to all contributors. I'm pumped to play

#23 11 years ago

Hmm...

Hopefully it "stays fixed". My only concern is that you stated that you switched the optos boards that would have obviously changed the centering. If it was having issues both before and after you switched the boards it's odd that just re-centering them was the final fix.

Either way, it's working now...congratulations.

PS: I'm starting to think I might no longer be considered a newbie to pinball. The problem is, I still feel like a complete newbie still.

#24 11 years ago

Links that may help:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-pinball#post-389499

Quoted from Skypilot:

Thanks ,
I went back and looked at the error message again. Y no progress.
Tried to give it a manual turn and noticed it was hanging up ever so slightly. Turns out the actuator that spins in the opto was not centered in the opto and hanging up. Centered it and wala! Johnny's a rocket. I'll port so finished photos soon. Thanks again to all contributors. I'm pumped to play

HURRAY!!!

#25 11 years ago

Fast pin

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 11 years ago

I saw your earlier pics in another thread. I did you switch the buttons to translucent ones?

#27 11 years ago

Yes , goes better with the black chrome

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-jm-is-giving-me-a-hand-job and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.