(Topic ID: 44065)

Tech: JD solenoid issue. Calling LTG....

By flipper_fever76

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipper_fever76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Turned on JD this morning and F104 blew, I powered off, replaced it and turned game back on and it blew again. F104 is for solenoids 9-16. I removed J127 from the power PCB and F104 didn't blow, so figured one of the solenoids must of shorted out. Checked all the solenoids 9-16, all of them read around 5-7 ohms w/ the exception of Sol 13 Trough which read .7 ohms, so I'm thinking Sol 13 is no good. Plugged J127 back in to make sure original symptom of F104 blowing was still there but F104 didn't blow, instead the DW planet and crane just continuously cycled....strange. I removed J127 from power PCB again and measured all the pins on P127, pin 6 (Sol13) is measuring 20 ohms to ground, all other pins are reading an open. I'm thinking that possible the transistor for Sol13 (Q50) is no good, just not sure how to actually check it.

Any help is appreciated.

#3 11 years ago

Okay, basically I put everything back to the beginning. All connectors on and a new fuse in F104, turn on machine w/ coin door open (HV interlock open). Go to solenoid test, push in HV interlock and the fuse blow right away. So basically the fuse blows before I can start to step through the solenoids.

#5 11 years ago

Yeah, definately doesn't blow w/ the connector off. I removed wire 6 from the connector and plugged everything back in and it doesn't blow either. Pin 6 is the trough solenoid, it's also the solenoid that is reading .7 ohms instead of 5-7ohms like all the other solenoids on that connector. What do you think? Bad trough solenoid? I was leaning towards this as well but for s and g's I checked resistance of the board side of the connector and pin 6 is reading only 20ohms where the rest of the pins read open, that's why i started to think maybe something on the board is causing the issue.

#7 11 years ago

Hey Lloyd & Markmon, I just checked Q50 which is the transistor in question. Not exactly sure what it's supposed to read but all three legs are reading a short to ground. I checked a few of the other transitors on that string and they read something in the neighborhood of 1.8k - 2k ohms. With the P127 connector not even hooked up, it takes all the coils out of the curcuit, so if all 3 legs of Q50 are reading shorts to ground I'm thinking this is my culprit. I know these power pcb's are used in many different machines, is it possible there might be a spare transistor I can swap it with? Or should i just go ahead order a new transistor? I suppose the Sol13 coil could of shorted and taken out the Q50 as well.

#9 11 years ago

K, i'll get one on order. I'll order a new coil as well, its reading .7 ohms even isolated from pcb so probably smoked too. Thanks for the help guys, having a soundboard to bounce things off of is really invaluable in this hobby.

#10 11 years ago

So I was trying to order the parts i need from PBL, found the coil w/o issue but can't find the transistor on their website. My manual is calling out a 5162-12635-00, description TIP 102. Do I need to cross reference this w/ something or maybe they just don't stock it. Not sure where else to order from.

#12 11 years ago

Got it, thanks. I put a space between TIP and 102....who knew...lol.

#14 11 years ago

Will do mark. Just ordered up the parts, both coil and transistor. I'll update you guys when I get them in. Thanks again for the help.

1 week later
#15 11 years ago

Hey guys, just wanted to update my JD issue. Got the new coil and transistor in the mail the other day. Put the new coil in, pulled the power pcb, cut the old Q50 out and soldered the new one in...all went smoothly. Fired up the machine and we are back in business. Thanks lloyd and mark for the assistance.

#17 11 years ago

Yeah, I agree brian. I try to do my part by making sure the resolution gets posted. As much as i hate when my pins f up I really do enjoy the troubleshooting process....the board work...a little nerve racking though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipper_fever76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-jd-solenoid-issue-calling-ltg?tu=flipper_fever76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.