• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by brucipher
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey gang,

So I recently purchased an Addams Family. I've been working on changing the inserts to LEDs, and there are a couple that a flaky. On the "GREED" lamp board, there are 3 lights that are having issues. There are two that only light when I wiggle the connector that plugs into that board, but when I stop wiggling the connector they go back out. There is one lamp that will not turn on at all.

This is a new issue for me, so I am hoping someone can give me some guidance. Do I new a whole new lamp board (do they even sell these), or what should I look for to fix this? Is it the connector?

Thank you!

#2 9 years ago

It's pretty common for the pins on those lamp boards to develop cracks in the solder joints. I'd reflow the solder on the lamp board pins.

#3 9 years ago

When you wiggle the connector, your ensure a good contact. When you let go, the contact is broken, so i suggest you pull the connector and inspect each contact. Ensure they are clean and serviceable (not loose). Reseat the connector (firmly) and try again. Otherwise you have a loose/broken wire somewhere near the connector.

#4 9 years ago

bad solder joints can also be a problem.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks guys...I will take a look at that. My soldering skills are lacking, but I did just do a flipper rebuild and coil replacement on my BSD, so hopefully if I can do that I can handle this...

#6 9 years ago

Ok, so I successfully re-flowed solder on the lamp board pins, and that fixed two of the lamps that would sometimes come on when I wiggled the connector, but the 3rd lamp that was out (the "R" in GREED) that never came on even when wiggling the connector still isn't lighting. I tried flowing a little solder on the board where the black lamp socket twists in, but still no go. I also re-flowed some solder where the diode for that lamp is, and nothing.

So...think it is something in the wiring?

I really appreciate the help!!! I love learning new repair skills for my pins

#7 9 years ago

You could have a broken trace on the lamp board or, a bad diode. Do you know how to test them with a meter? Did you try to swap working sockets in to confirm the socket is ok? Push the wires back in in the hardness that connects to the little lamp PCB? If that gets you nowhere, trace the wire that lights that insert lamp to it's previous lamp in the matrix. A wire could have come loose (or been sliced through) from the previous lamp connection in the matrix. After that, you are looking to board issues.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Did you try to swap working sockets in to confirm the socket is ok? Push the wires back in in the hardness that connects to the PCB? If that gets you nowhere, trace the wire that lights that insert lamp to it's previous lamp in the matrix. A wire could have come loose from the previous lamp connection in the matrix. After that, you are looking at board issues.

I did try other working sockets, so it is not that. I also tried fiddling with the wires that connect to the harness, but I will take another look at that again.

Thanks for the tip to follow the wires back to the previous lamp connection in the matrix. That is where I will go to next.

#9 9 years ago

Looking at the manual, all the GREED lamps are in column 3. Since the other lamps on the board are lighting properly, you know the column 3 wire (the yellow one) is fine. Also from the manual, the 'R' is in row 2, and is controlled by the red/black wire.

The quick test is to put your DMM on DC voltage, then put the red lead on the yellow wire and the black lead on the red/black wire. If you see voltage (when the lamp should be lit), it means the red/black wire is fine up to the point you're probing and the problem is on the lamp board. If you see zero volts, there is a problem with the red/black wire before it makes it to the point where you're probing.

Wow, that's way harder to put into words than just showing someone in person!

#10 9 years ago

Check the header pins on the PCB where the wire harness connects. The solder may have cracked.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Check the header pins on the PCB where the wire harness connects. The solder may have cracked.

I agree!

#12 9 years ago

We've been over that four posts up.

#13 9 years ago

If you're reflowed the pins, and a lamp still doesn't work, it can really only be two things (presuming you have ruled out a broken wire elsewhere under the playfield) ...

1) the diode is bad for that lamp
2) the solder on the twist-lock pads is "dimpled" and the twist lock isn't making contact when it's fully turned and seated.

You can easily check #1 with a meter ...#2, just heat the pad, tilt the PCB slightly so the solder pools in a slight uphill slope, and let cool. Repeat for other side.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks guys! About to head to the beach for a few days so I won't be able to try and fix it until after that, but I really appreciate the help and advice! I will keep you posted...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-issues-with-a-couple-lamps-not-lighting-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.