(Topic ID: 133822)

Tech: Is there a diy approach to adding a headphone jack to a pin?

By huo

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PP1_PP2_PP2MAC_PP3_featured.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Looking to see if anyone is familiar with a diy headphone jack that can be installed in a pin. I've got 8 games so the pinball audio board would become quite expensive.

#2 6 years ago

I love the new Pinsound board as it adds so much customization possibilities to a pin along with true stereo. I still have not used the headphone jack yet.

#3 6 years ago

I've thought about doing this as well. Should be s matter of wiring 1/4" jack and regular speakers thru a selector switch to choose one or the other. Then use headphones with s volume control. That would be the simple solution at least..

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from slydog43:

I love the new Pinsound board as it adds so much customization possibilities to a pin along with true stereo.

What's the point of stereo with mono audio files?

#6 6 years ago

Pinnovators are only $99

I have them in all my machines. Worth the money and your time.
    https://www.pinnovators.com/index.php/purchase-products

PP1_PP2_PP2MAC_PP3_featured.jpg

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You re-mix the audio. For example I remixed 195 audio files in stereo.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

You re-mix the audio. For example I remixed 195 audio files in stereo.

Ah, I misread the Pinsound part as being the Pinnovators headphone jack. Yeah, that's kind of a whole different level though than the thread was looking for. That's a $400 board, that also requires a whole lot of audio work to make worth it. Cool, but not exactly "how do I add cheap headphone jacks".

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Ah, I misread the Pinsound part as being the Pinnovators headphone jack. Yeah, that's kind of a whole different level though than the thread was looking for. That's a $400 board, that also requires a whole lot of audio work to make worth it. Cool, but not exactly "how do I add cheap headphone jacks".

Right, thats why I recommended the $99 pinnovators. Much cheaper than $400

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Right, thats why I recommended the $99 pinnovators. Much cheaper than $400

Hum, current price is $340, not $400, but still, not as cheap as Pinnovators for sure

#11 6 years ago

It was $400 recently. Was unaware of the price reduction.

#12 6 years ago

we added headphone jacks to most of the WPC games at the Ann Arbor michigan pinball musuem. we did it on the cheap though, just using a jack and connecting it to the bottom speaker. It works OK, not perfect, but for about $1 per game, the price was right.

#13 6 years ago

Wish there was a solid-state or sys11 solution.
    -mof

#14 6 years ago

I was at the show in Ann Arbor this year, and I brought headphones. Some of the games sounded great, but some had too much bass.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Wish there was a solid-state or sys11 solution.
    -mof

I'll probably do a system 11 headphone kit this winter.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

We have a new stereo version headphone kit for the stern spike system. We're also making currently making a stereo version for vp guys. We could probably adapt our new stereo version to the pinsound board at some point if people continue to redo the audio files.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I was at the show in Ann Arbor this year, and I brought headphones. Some of the games sounded great, but some had too much bass.

Our kits have adjustable potentiometers on the back of the plate. U can adjust how much bass or highs get to the user in the headphones. Not sure who's kit you were using, but ours are adjustable.
    Thanks,

#18 6 years ago

I've never played pinball with headphones before, is the purpose of the headphones so that you can hear the game audio in a noisy location? Or is it so you can play with the audio loud without disturbing others nearby (mechanical noises excluded)?

#19 6 years ago

It serves multiple benefits
    - yes you can crank the headphones louder then u could ever crank the game volume to what your ears can handle
    - with our mute button u can cancel the speakers out so people in that room or other rooms in the house don't hear the audio. you're blaring it in your head or keeping it at a nice volume they still don't get bothered by it
    - it makes you more focused when your playing, you will hear call outs you generally didn't pay attention to or missed
    - u can leave the speakers on and use the headphones so the person playing a game next to you isn't bother you and others watching can still enjoy the game.
    - plus our kits come with build in audio out for a powered sub. When not using the headphones u can have a powered sub going with the factory speakers. If u hit our mute button it mutes the powered sub and the speakers all at once.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgonzola:

I've never played pinball with headphones before, is the purpose of the headphones so that you can hear the game audio in a noisy location? Or is it so you can play with the audio loud without disturbing others nearby (mechanical noises excluded)?

The first time is a bit freaky because, as Lorenzo said, you will start hearing call outs and audio clues you didn't even know were in the game.

And the biggest advantage is focus. Combined with noise canceling headphones it can be awesome.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside