Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Turboderf
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

This is probably a "duh" situation where I plugged or didnt plug something in correctly. Kind of embarrassed to ask

I installed a remote battery onto my AFM's cpu. Unsoldered the battery holder. Soldered the positive terminal to the top right and negative terminal to the bottom left where the old holder was.

Re-installed the cpu and the factory settings message comes up but I can’t seem to get into the menu system anymore. Rechecked that I connected everything but the coin door menu buttons no longer work.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 10 years ago

It sure sounds like the direct switches aren't connected. Is there anything connected to J205 on the CPU board?

#3 10 years ago

I will check tonight after work. I thought I might have forgot which plug to use since they are keyed alike.

Thanks Herg!

#4 10 years ago

Just checked the switches for J205 and everything is as where it should per the manual. Still can get into the menu from the coindoor switches.

#5 10 years ago

So, none of the operator buttons work (can't enter menus, can't change volume, can't add service credits)? If the connector is attached properly and you haven't done anything under the playfield, that pretty much leaves the possibility of a broken ground wire (pin 10 of J205) or board issues.

If you measure the voltage on J205, pin 9, it should read 12V with no buttons pressed, 0V when the ENTER button is pressed.

If you're forced into working on the boards, I'd suspect U15 first. The LM339s spread the direct switches over two chips, and both would have to be dead for none of the switches to work. U15, however, is a single point of failure.

#6 10 years ago

Oh, I should add, it's worth checking the coin door interface connections before diving into board work, even if you haven't done work under the playfield. The switches connect through J1 and J5 of the coin door interface board.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

So, none of the operator buttons work (can't enter menus, can't change volume, can't add service credits)? If the connector is attached properly and you haven't done anything under the playfield, that pretty much leaves the possibility of a broken ground wire (pin 10 of J205) or board issues.

This is correct. No operator buttons are working. Per your post, I'll check everything out tonight or this weekend. I'm just wondering what could have happened since I'm usually very careful when handling boards. Maybe one of the connectors at the coin door board is the culprit which I'll check also.

Thanks again for the response Herg!

Mike

#8 10 years ago

I'd also look for old battery damage on the connector and the headers. I've run across your exact same issue and found there to be corrosion in the connector.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks Mark! We'll do.

1 week later
#10 10 years ago

Checked all the chips and pins for any acid damage again as the direct switches are the first affected by this. Everything looked clean.

I removed J205 and used a jumper from ground to the MPU connectors. When this activated the menu I knew I didn’t have a board problem. I checked the coin door again and noticed the black wire on the coin switch was completely off and the orange was hanging by a thread. I re stripped and tinned the wire soldering them back to the switch.

I cant believe I missed this but it was a learning experience as always.

Fixed - Thanks to all your help guys.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Checked all the chips and pins for any acid damage again as the direct switches are the first affected by this. Everything looked clean.
I removed J205 and used a jumper from ground to the MPU connectors. When this activated the menu I knew I didn’t have a board problem. I checked the coin door again and noticed the black wire on the coin switch was completely off and the orange was hanging by a thread. I re stripped and tinned the wire soldering them back to the switch.
I cant believe I missed this but it was a learning experience as always.
Fixed - Thanks to all your help guys.

The black wire got me to on flintstones it was off the switch on the coin door at lease you got it play on

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
PinSound

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 21.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-installed-remote-battery-on-my-afm-and-now-cant-coinup-or-access-menu?hl=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.