Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Big70
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-594.jpg
image-86.jpg
image-546.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider big70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago

It's definitely a playfield issue and not a cpu board issue if unplugging the idol cleared up the row short message. When you say you disconnected the idol, did you unplug J1 on the 3 switch opto pcb for the idol? If so, the LM339 chip (U1) on that board is likely bad and causing the problem. When an LM339 for optos fails, it confuses the swtich matrix and you can get all kinds of strange switch behavior from phantom swtich closures, double switch closures with optos involved to sometimes getting ground row shorts being reported.

I'm pretty sure you could confirm that it's the LM339 by unplugging J2, J3, and J4 on that board, but leave J1 plugged in. You're unplugging each individual opto on the idol when you do that (J2 is switch 91, which the only opto on the idol in row 1). If you unplug all those, but the row short stays, it's going to be the LM339. It's a cheap chip ($1.39 at Marco Specialties and $.59 for a socket) and fairly common to fail. I always put a socket on for the new chip when replacing for easy replacing in the future.

The switch row short is likely causing the 2 balls to be ejected during game play. Trough 6 is in Row 1, so if the pin thinks there's a short in Row 1, when the first ball is ejected, it will still see Trough 6 as closed when it should be open. Trough 5 will be closed too as it should be, so the game will spit out a 2nd ball thinking the trough is still full of balls (trough 1 - 6 all closed when it should be 1 - 5 closed and 6 open with a ball in the shooter lane). Once Trough 5 goes open because the 2nd ball is ejected and only 4 are now in the trough, the game will see Trough 6 closed, 5 open, and 4 - 1 all closed and know the trough isn't full.

The drop target issue I think can happen too if you turn the game on with the coin door open and the drop target can't go up and down because the coils have no power with the door open. If I recall the drop target pulses on power up. If the drop target can't move on power up, the game will think it's not working. Hitting it will make it go away. That switch is also in Row 1 though, so it may have also had to do with you having a ground short in row 1 message. I'd double check my memory on the drop target pulsing at power up, but my IJ is currently stripped down for a shop job.

#13 4 years ago

Yes, I do believe the issue to be the LM339 chip. I feel stronger about that since when you unplug J4, which is opto switch 93 (the last switch in Row 3), and that clears up a reported Row 1 ground short. That LM339 it communicating with the CPU, telling it which switch is activated. When those chips fail, they confuse the CPU and that can cause all kinds of weird problems. I've had situations where 1 or more optos were being reported in the switch matrix test as switch number that are "not used" in the manual. Sometimes I've had them show up as other non optic switches, sometimes double switch closures (phantom switch closures). Ground row short is another possibility. All caused by a bad LM339. That fact that it's already socketed is just a plus for you. It's a good chip to have in stock. It's not uncommon for them to fail on those opto pcb boards under the playfield. IJ has 3 of them on the 10 switch opto board, 1 on the 3 switch opto board, and 2 on the trough opto board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
7,700 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Woodbury, MN
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blandon, PA
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
8,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hingham, MA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Shawnee, OK
$ 28.00
$ 315.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
liorillusion
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider big70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside