• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kyle5574
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello,
I am having an intermittent issue with the supercharger on my HS2 and was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction. What is happening during a game is when the supercharger light is lit and the ball enters the supercharger, 90% of the time it works fast and flawlessly. But at least once during a game the ball will enter the supercharger and the magnets will not energize and the ball will roll back out. The problem will continue each time you hit the ball up the ramp during the same ball in play but as soon as the ball drains and is launched back onto the playfield it will start working again. All the magnets and optos check out in test mode and I re-flowed all the pins on the accelerator board and tested all the transistors and found nothing suspect. Any help on what to look for next would be greatly appreciated.

John

#2 11 years ago

Flaky opto comes to mind.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

When it acts up and won't energize the magnets you can roll the ball through the supercharger and the appropriate sounds will be made and the three red lights on the front of the supercharger will flash in sequence as if the optos are seeing the ball and being triggered. The opto receiver on the second magnet was registering 3.6 volts and Clay's guide suggest 1 volt or less should be seen. I replaced it and am still getting 3.6 volts to it and of course still have my original issue.

#5 11 years ago

Still haven't found the issue. Anyone else have any idea what to look for?

Thanks

#6 11 years ago

cold solders on optos wires?

#7 11 years ago

Does the surpercharger system test work at all, in the menu where you 'rate' the speed?

Have you checked power to the magnets themselves?

#8 11 years ago

The optos and all connections related seem to be fine. I pulled the cover off of the supercharger and tried triggering the optos with my finger as well as rolling the ball through when the supercharger is acting up and all three optos will register. It seems to me that if there is somthing in the circuit that is between the optos and the magnets that is not communicating with the magnets that would be the problem but i'm not sure what that is. I don't think it is opto related because when the magnets decide not to energize, all three do not energize at all not just one or two. I would guess that if an opto was flaky it would just be the magnet associated with that opto that would have the problem. Also, the magnets have 72 volts to them at all times even when they don't fire when thy should.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Does the surpercharger system test work at all, in the menu where you 'rate' the speed?
Have you checked power to the magnets themselves?

Yes the test works every time flawlessly and the speed is consistently fast in the mid 90's. I can't get it to act up in the test mode only during a game.

#10 11 years ago

Just for the hell of it i would check all the wires that plug into the opto board. Mine had a shaddy wire where someone tried to punch a wire into the connector without the caseing on the wire, which needs to be there inorder to hold the wire into the connector properly. Needless to say it worked but not forever. I had to punch the wire down correctly. Make sure they are all punched in there tightly and properly.

#11 11 years ago

Thanks. I will check them when I get home this afternoon.

2 weeks later
#12 11 years ago

I'm curious, was the opto board the problem or is it still not working?

#13 11 years ago

My siren light stopped turning. The game is just not the same.

#14 11 years ago

Mine started acting up last month ,,, I reseated the Connectors on the accelerator board under-neath the p/F .. The balls Should Run @ a Test Speed of 90 to 110 , mine was at 125 ( slow )

When i get my 6-sets of Police Led Flashers back from my Tech guy , ( 1 Kit could be Your's !! )

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My siren light stopped turning. The game is just not the same.

Put the Beacon in Test mode , move the 2 Power wires connected to the motor ..

Or ,, Do you NOT have any Power @ All ?

#16 11 years ago

Thank's B_R. It quit the other night. I was told the motor and the light share the same circuit, so maybe its the motor since it still lights up. It's high priority! That beacon light and siren even get my neighbors attention. I'm on it.

3 weeks later
#17 10 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I'm curious, was the opto board the problem or is it still not working?

Still not working. I haven't had a chance to work on it due to my sons busy baseball schedule. I was able to swap out the accelerator board and the opto board with another working set from another machine a few days ago and still had the same issues. So i'm not sure where to look next. It would seem it could be a corrupt rom but i did have L2 burned onto the existing rom which had L1 on it and that didn't fix it either.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thank's B_R. It quit the other night. I was told the motor and the light share the same circuit, so maybe its the motor since it still lights up. It's high priority! That beacon light and siren even get my neighbors attention. I'm on it.

mine had quit also...ended up being a wire broke all the way down by the power supply in the cabinet..sorry OP I have no suggestions on the supercharger issue

#19 10 years ago

I'm not sure how I fixed the beacon. I couldn't find a test mode for it. But the light and motor do run off the same wires, which I moved. I could not get it to not work after that.

#20 10 years ago

Easy fix ,, How fast does Yr Super Charger Run in Test mod ?

#21 10 years ago

I'm not sure about anybody elses, but my supercharger has "turbo-boost". That ball is flying so fast, it's a blurrrr............

2 weeks later
#22 10 years ago

I still have not resolved the intermittent issue with my supercharger. It has been suggested that maybe I have a corrupt game rom. I had L-1 in it and had a friend of mine burn L-2 onto the same rom and still have the same issue. Could the rom chip itself be flaky even with the new L-2 loaded onto it or is this not possible?

3 months later
#23 10 years ago
Quoted from johnnypinball:

Could the rom chip itself be flaky even with the new L-2 loaded onto it or is this not possible?

A corrupted EPROM would fail the checksum test, so I don't think that's the problem. Did you ever find a solution?

#24 10 years ago

Actually, I know the solution as we both were racking our brains trying to figure it out. The problem: magnetized balls. He put in new pinballs and all was good.

#25 10 years ago

I would have never thought about magnetized balls. I'll have to remember that. The disappearing post on my HS2 is magnetized, so I might end up with the same issue at some point.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

The problem: magnetized balls. He put in new pinballs and all was good.

Yes, Stangbat is correct. After putting in new pinballs everything has been working flawlessly. I wouldn't have believed it myself if someone else told me that this would cause the strange issues I was having but it is without a doubt that the magnetized balls were causing the problems. If I put the old balls back in the supercharger issues come back with them.

John

1 month later
#27 10 years ago

I'm glad this thread came up a while back. I just recently noticed my supercharger slowing way down. I had Silver Jets loaded and I remembered seeing another thread mentioning not to use them in games with magnets because they get magnetized easily.

I dropped in three new, cheap balls and WOW that thing is fast now! I don't remember it ever being this fast!

...I set a new high score too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-hs2-the-getaway-supercharger-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.