Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by bigduke6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

This may seem like a really silly question for all you LED pros, but I have been starring at the damn cointaker website for over 1 hour trying to even accurately decipher what bulbs to use where?

I have a full list of bulb types and insert colors in my game, but there are so many damn choices I am not sure where to start.

non-ghosting, supers, minis, retros, ultras, frosted, high power, 4-led, aarrrrggghhhhhhh....

Can someone give a general idea of what you like, where, and why?

I did the kit on my MM when I had it and I loved it. Color match inserts, still had a warm glow for the GI, it all just seemed right... too many choices when I am trying to compile it all myself and not sure where to even start.

#2 11 years ago

Use non-ghosting (premiums) in the inserts. You can choose from frosted (bright), premiums (brighter more direct), and premium 2's (which are brightest).

User standard frosted in the GI and Backbox.

#3 11 years ago

+1
I also like 4+1s in the pops. I usually don't bother with flashers unless that spot is underpowered.

#4 11 years ago

for inserts >> is the general consensus bright, brighter, or brightest? There are lots of dark inserts in the center section of the playfield so my gut says brighter for that portion... Should I use the same level of brightness for all inserts?

for GI and backbox>>> warm for more redish glow and cool for more blueish? correct?

preference for retro or actual frosted in GI? I do like the colored frosted I have seen some use to accentuate specific areas around a GI bulb...

#5 11 years ago

I prefer the frosteds for GI. Don't really like the color on the retros.
I prefer CT supers for most inserts unless they are nickel sized and smaller, then I use CT frosteds.

#6 11 years ago

I usually go with the premium 2 LED (regular or flex) and then back off to a premium 1 LED if an insert is too bright. For example white or yellow inserts can get too bright.

If the insert is a warm or cold color that also affects the brightness, as does the size of the insert. Plus inserts in the back of the game will need more brightness. There's a lot of variables.

I don't think the frosted bulbs are non-ghosting. If they're not stay away from them on inserts. I also don't think the supers are non-ghosting.

Depending on the game, colored GI can either look great or horrible. Just have to play with it and see what you think. Some games like BSD are obvious, others aren't. I use frosted for GI.

See these articles for more info.

http://pinballrehab.com/articles/pinball-mods-and-leds/pinball-leds

#7 11 years ago

The most important thing is how you play your games. If you play in the complete dark then the bright LED's are going to drive your eyes crazy. If you play in a dimmed or slightly lighted room then the bright leds won't be that bad. Some games like Medieval Madness that have a really dark play field is remedied by adding spots.

#8 11 years ago

thanks for the info everyone. A big help!

#9 11 years ago

We actually have many pictures of fish tales on our site.. its one of the games we test our LEDs on often... if you haven't decided yet what you want... please contact us and we can walk you through what looks best in your game

#10 11 years ago

thanks...

I unfortunately just placed a large order yesterday.

Nice to hear of another LED company in the mix.

#11 11 years ago

Nifty,

Can you put a link to your FT page?

#12 11 years ago

bright leds give me migraines. The last time i played my bsd I lost partial vision in my right eye temporarily. No joke.

#14 11 years ago

I just restored a FT, and used Ablaze 3's everywhere - a few blues and greens for effect in GI, matched most inserts for colour, see photos at the bottom of this page for how it turned out (a little better than where it started!!!!)

http://townsvillepinball.com.au/restorations/76-2/

#15 11 years ago

I went with more blue, all CT premium. By playing around in the backbox you can really make it come alive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

12,500 (OBO)
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-how-to-appropriately-led-my-ft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.