(Topic ID: 54589)

Tech Help/Opinion: J120 GI Lighting Circuit.

By DeathHimself

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Gorgar666
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Ok as so it goes, I had some backbox lighting out and some of the lights on the coin door etc. So I replaced the burnt plugs and pins, I checked the voltage at J120-11 and it it 7.1 volts AC just like the others. I checked all my connections for wire breaks with continuity on the DDM. The is a connection from every socket back to the J120-11 white and violet, and the other side J120-6 violet. Yet no power to the sockets.

My question is would I still get power at the J120-11 as I'm getting now if the Q12 (BT-138E) is blown? Would that be stopping the circuit from completing at the sockets? Just want to be sure before I pull a board and replace it.

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Is Q12 a triac on a heat sink above the GI fuse area ?

If so leave the game on for a bit, and then feel the heat sinks. Warm ones are good, cold ones are bad.

I'd be more thinking you lost through board continuity on one or more of the pins. If you didn't check them before putting the board in. I'd pull the board and stick a meter on each pin you replaced and a spot away from the repair area on the same trace as the pin you check.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Thanks Lloyd,

All the tracers are good, it is the one mounted on a heat sink. The game while being on for a while three others get nice and toasty, one other gets some what warm and the Q12 pretty much stays room temp.

I also tested the voltage at the U1 chip pin 11 and came back with 4.67 on DC. This was the U1 chip on the power board and not the CPU board. Pinwiki wasn't specific on which U1 to test nor AC or DC voltage or the range the voltage should be within.

#4 10 years ago

If you have power at j120/121 but not at the sockets, it sounds like a playfield wiring issue. It's easy to yank the wires out of the j120 connector and move them to other pins. Try the circuit that's out on another GI circuit. Swap two circuits and see if the issue stays with the circuit or wires.

#5 10 years ago

I have buzz'd every socket to to its pin on the plug, each and every one had tone so there can be no breaks in the wire. I'll try moving that pin to another pin which is on a different Triac and see if they fire up.

9 years later
    #6 1 year ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If you have power at j120/121 but not at the sockets, it sounds like a playfield wiring issue. It's easy to yank the wires out of the j120 connector and move them to other pins. Try the circuit that's out on another GI circuit. Swap two circuits and see if the issue stays with the circuit or wires.

Are all the J120 pins power?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-helpopinion-j120-gi-lighting-circuit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.