You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20161125_212108 (resized).jpg
20161125_212104 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I don't know maybe it's the supermoon, but I had my Corvette, No Fear and Rbion go down in the last week or so. NF and Corvette are back in action, but I can't seem to lick the Whitestar board issue. I think I may have fried something when I took off the scoop to adjust the angle on it. I think when I unscrewed it from the top it released from the bottom of pf and made contact with something, but I'm not sure. In any case when I turn it on, I get nothing except some GI lights, No DMD flash with ROM version, no bong. Also the +20v and +50v LED lights on the driver board are off. Any help would be appreciated it. I have no experience with Whitestar sys.

#2 7 years ago

Have you checked the fuses yet? Tested voltages?

#3 7 years ago

Yeah..I was hoping it was just a fuse. I pulled them individually and rang them. All good. I think the clue is no +50v no +20v.

#4 7 years ago

What voltage are you getting at R114? You'll need 5v to boot.

Pinwiki helpful to you? Fairly extensive section on checking the 5v for boot problems.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Low_.2B5VDC_and_Game_Resets

#5 7 years ago

Sorry I should have mentioned it. I measured it, it's solid 5.03 volts.

#6 7 years ago

Watchdog circuit would be my next check. IPDB only has a few pages from the manual. Consider uploading yours if you have one.

#7 7 years ago

I just pulled the cpu board...there is battery acid leakage...no damage noted. I neutralized the acid with a vinegar bath and installed an NVRAM. Also the 50v and 20v leds are lit after I closed the coin door...Doh! Still not booting.

#8 7 years ago

Good you found the alkaline damage. Did you remove the battery holder and check underneath it?
Odds are good the alkaline ate through a trace somewhere. Maybe post some photos?

#9 7 years ago

What are the voltages on CN2? Pin 1 should be 5V, pin 2 gnd, pin 3 -12V, pins 4 and 5 NC and pin 6 +12V. If those are good, look at the voltages on pin 3 of VR1 and VR2. VR1 pin 3 should be -5V and VR2 pin 3 should be +5V. Next check for +5V at pin 28 of U212 and 3.3V at test point 1.

If that's all good then I would check to see if the reset circuit is stuck low.

I have a manual with schematics if you need it.

#10 7 years ago

Hi Scott, thanks I can't find VR1 and VR2, nor TP1 sorry.? I did measure CN1 all good, however Pin 3 was -13.70 and Pin 6 was +13.75. U212 Pin 28 was 4.95V. I should also add that the battery acid was fresh so there is absolutely no trace damage however the acid was wet to touch on the ROM and Memory chip.

When I turn the machine on I get no bong, no dmd, every now and again I get the GI's flashing on and off a few times. Also on the cpu L200 comes on and goes off. On the power driver LED L204 flashes.

20161125_212104 (resized).jpg20161125_212104 (resized).jpg

20161125_212108 (resized).jpg20161125_212108 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

VR1 and VR2 are just above CN2. TP1 is the 3.3V and is about half way up the board from CN2. By your picture LED2 is lit so your 3.3V is probably good. I would double check the F1 fuse just to the left of LED2 just to be safe.

Check the reset line at pin 37 of U209. It should be high. I'm guessing it's going to be low indicating the watchdog is holding it down. While watchdog circuits do fail it's more common they are simply doing their job and holding the CPU in reset because of a problem. If the reset is high as it should be then I would start tracing out the address (A0-A15) and data (D0-D7) lines. I have a cheat sheet around here somewhere if you need it.

Was the L200 light doing the same thing with the original RAM?

#12 7 years ago

This may help

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#13 7 years ago

Thanks again, I have to tell you I've checked about a few dozen threads on multiple sites and it seems there are very few resolution (and even how to guide) to the Whitestar system. To make it worst this is a modified Whitester so there is even less info on this boardset. Anyway I may have a clue I noticed on a couple of threads the board repair experts suggested to check the RAM, ROM and PAL chip for similar issues, so I started with the ROM and downloaded the latest version from Stern's site, I erased mine and tried 3 times writing to it. I erased and tried again, it failed all 3 times. I even downloaded another rom image from Stern's Monopoly making sure the RBION's image was not the issue. So I ordered a new ROM chip. As you know when I removed the cpu board I noticed the ROM was wet with battery alkaline leakage. So I'm hoping this may be the culprit. I will update once I get it. Btw, yes L200 was doing the same thing with the old RAM, I agree the watchdog circuit is holding the ssy down in perpetual reset, I'm guessing that's correct if it can't read the ROM?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Thanks again, I have to tell you I've checked about a few dozen threads on multiple sites and it seems there are very few resolution (and even how to guide) to the Whitestar system. To make it worst this is a modified Whitester so there is even less info on this boardset. Anyway I may have a clue I noticed on a couple of threads the board repair experts suggested to check the RAM, ROM and PAL chip for similar issues, so I started with the ROM and downloaded the latest version from Stern's site, I erased mine and tried 3 times writing to it. I erased and tried again, it failed all 3 times. I even downloaded another rom image from Stern's Monopoly making sure the RBION's image was not the issue. So I ordered a new ROM chip. As you know when I removed the cpu board I noticed the ROM was wet with battery alkaline leakage. So I'm hoping this may be the culprit. I will update once I get it. Btw, yes L200 was doing the same thing with the old RAM, I agree the watchdog circuit is holding the ssy down in perpetual reset, I'm guessing that's correct if it can't read the ROM?

I would SERIOUSLY think about replacing the EPROM socket.

#15 7 years ago

Stoptap that's solid advice but I haven't had much luck with that, I even bought a Hakko Fr-300 but for some reason the eyelets keep getting pulled. Currently I have 2 boards with John Wart for repair, one was me trying to socket an NVRAM on a WPC, the other trying to replace a PIA on Data East. I did neutralize the alkaline and wash the board out pretty well, visually the board is pristine. I can't chance it, knowing the traces on these boards are even more fragile than WPC.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Stoptap that's solid advice but I haven't had much luck with that, I even bought a Hakko Fr-300 but for some reason the eyelets keep getting pulled. Currently I have 2 boards with John Wart for repair, one was me trying to socket an NVRAM on a WPC, the other trying to replace a PIA on Data East. I did neutralize the alkaline and wash the board out pretty well, visually the board is pristine. I can't chance it, knowing the traces on these boards are even more fragile than WPC.

Fair enough but I have always found a load of crap under those sockets despite my best efforts to clean them. Whenever I am trying to resurrect an acid damaged board I always replace all the chip sockets in the affected area.

I hope yours turns out ok.

Would like to own a Ripleys at some point. There aren't that many over here in the UK though.

2 weeks later
#17 7 years ago

Update: So it turns out the ROM was indeed shorted out by the battery alkaline, I ordered a new one and it's all good. Thanks to both of you for help. For future reference, a good clue is when you turn the game on and got all the leds but there was no rom version flashed on the dmd then don't bother troubleshooting the cpu just then, because the rom version will flash even if the cpu is bad. Check the rom chip before continuing.

#18 7 years ago

If you run into issue again I would replace the Rom socket. I had an X Files that had boot issues until I put in a new socket.

3 months later
#19 7 years ago

Any idea if the pinout above applies to the 520-5300 CPU?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

Any idea if the pinout above applies to the 520-5300 CPU?

#ripleys-believe-it-or-not uses the 520-5300-00, as do all Stern/Whitestar games from Lord of the Rings to Nascar according to Pinwiki.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#CPU_.2F_Sound_Board

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Ripley's Believe It or Not! uses the 520-5300-00, as do all Stern/Whitestar games from Lord of the Rings to Nascar according to Pinwiki.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#CPU_.2F_Sound_Board

Pinwiki whitestar covers two different CPU/sound boards. 5136 and 5300. It's not clear if the above pinout applies to the 5139,5300 or both.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

Pinwiki whitestar covers two different CPU/sound boards. 5136 and 5300. It's not clear if the above pinout applies to the 5139,5300 or both.

You're right but given that the OP was troubleshooting a Ripley's Believe It or Not! that uses the 520-5300-00, if the pinout ScottSerpa posted did not apply to a 520-5300-00 how would it help the OP?

#23 7 years ago

I didn't see where he said he used it. He just said he replaced the rom.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 16.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-with-rbion-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.