Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by action76
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Got a Genie I am working on that had a board with slight battery damage. I cleaned the board and neutralized the alkaline leakage. After replacing the board, it was booting and playing. After leaving it on a while, say 30 minutes, I noticed that the outhole and the kickout solenoid was locked on. I tested all the transistors on the driver board and they tested ok. If I unplug the connector between the MPU and driver board and power on the machine, the solenoids do not lock on. This tells me (I think) that the problem is with the MPU board? Could anyone help me figure out where to look for this problem? I am hoping it is not the U4 spider chip and can be fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

It may also need that harness between CPU and Driver rebuilt.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

It may also need that harness between CPU and Driver rebuilt.

That could be true, although, the way it was working just fine and then all of a sudden these two coils decided to lock on makes me think a chip or something failed. I have disconnected and reconnected the harness several times, but it always locks on now, unless I leave it unplugged.

#4 7 years ago

Have you done the recommend System 1 ground mods? Locked on coils are one of the symptoms of poor grounds.

#5 7 years ago

I have not done the ground mods permanently yet, but I did do all the grounds temporarily with alligator clip jumpers just to eliminate that from being a possible cause.

#6 7 years ago

Anyone know any tests I can do to narrow down the culprit?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-with-a-system-1-mpu-locked-on-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.