(Topic ID: 184312)

Tech Help: Transistor blowing question

By PanaPinResto

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Sega/Stern Harley Davidson that's blowing the Q29 transistor and F7 fuse. This is a low voltage flasher transistor (J6-5). If I disconnect the connector at J6 it does not blow the fuse or transistor. I figured that meant my issue was on the wireing harness somewhere under the PF. I checked all the flashers on Q29 and found no problem. No wire on J6 is shorted to ground. Next I checked all the flashers on the playfield and found two bad flasher sockets. They were falling apart. They used the Q30&31 transistor. Being that these transistors all share a 20v orange wire could they cause my Q29 transistor to blow?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I have a Sega/Stern Harley Davidson that's blowing the Q29 transistor and F7 fuse. This is a low voltage flasher transistor (J6-5). If I disconnect the connector at J6 it does not blow the fuse or transistor. I figured that meant my issue was on the wireing harness somewhere under the PF. I checked all the flashers on Q29 and found no problem. No wire on J6 is shorted to ground. Next I checked all the flashers on the playfield and found two bad flasher sockets. They were falling apart. They used the Q30&31 transistor. Being that these transistors all share a 20v orange wire could they cause my Q29 transistor to blow?

A bad diode on my T3 shooter coil caused the coil to fry and that transistor to blow. Just throwing that out there.

#3 7 years ago

Well to make things even stranger, my original problem was a relay 19# not working error on my display. That's the relay for the motorcycle. I pulled it out and found a 3A yellow relay out of a Williams machine. Still 24v so I'm not sure if this would cause my problem or not. Anyways, I put it back together and this issue started. All my transistors test good with a diode test to the transistor tab.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-transistor-blowing-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.