(Topic ID: 90796)

Tech help: Dr Dude drop target opto board has gone awry!

By accidental

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jkaping
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi guys, I'm having switch troubles with the 4-bank drop target assembly on my Dr Dude (System 11).

All of a sudden the behaviour started where the bank would take one hit from a ball on any target and they'd all register as being it. And occasionally nothing would hit the drop targets but hits would be registered (indicated by the flasher and 'bling' sound when bank is completed).

My first thought was a bad diode so I took apart the assy, cleaned the optos, checked the diodes and they are all fine. I inspected all the solder points on the board and none looked to be in need of reflowing.

I put the assy back in the game to test after cleaning and the behaviour persisted.

In switch edges test the following happens:

If I drop target 4, it registers a whole bunch of 'target 4' in rapid fire. If I drop target 2 it registers it, but also triggers several 'target 4'. Other targets mostly don't register at all.

If I knock on the playfield near the targets I can get target 4 to register as well.

Question: should I reflow the solder points, or is the actual opto for target 4 (and possibly others) likely the culprit?

Cheers in advance for any help

#2 9 years ago

Opto(s) could be going bad, could also be the opto isolator IC on the board. If the connector is still of the IDC type it should be rebuilt using crimp on connectors for max reliability.

Great Lakes Modular makes a GREAT replacement board for this application.

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like a good idea. Especially considering that four of those optos from Marco is more than the cost of the whole Great Lakes board! I'll tinker around a bit more, reflow some solder and reseat connectors then order the board if I have no luck.

Cheers!

1 month later
#4 9 years ago

A friend replaced the LM339 chip on this board for me and it hasn't resolved the issue. I don't understand how one dodgy opto can affect all the others, and I don't know how to test which opto is the one at fault.

Can anyone advise how to further test what might be the problem with this board?

I'd rather not pay the expense of a replacement board plus shipping to New Zealand if I don't have to.

And before doing so I'd like to be sure that no other components in the back box could be causing it. Is this a possibility?

Cheers.

5 years later
#6 3 years ago

I’m wondering if you resolved this issue. I’m currently having the same problem with my police force... both banks for drop targets are automatically registering before I even touch them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 18.95
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-system-11-4-bank-opto-drop-target-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.