Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zaza
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stepper-conn.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Working on my Scared Stiff - the spider motor won't spin. There are no schematics in the manual, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

What I know: The LED is lit, I'm assuming this means voltage. When I attempt the spider test it seems like the motor is trying to spin. I can hear it humming, and when I put the actual plastic pointer on it the pointer shakes as if it's trying to move. Please note that is a new motor. I took the cover off and the lubricant on there is still viscous and not dirty.

What can I look for to try to resolve this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

#2 5 years ago

Measure voltage at the motor. If low it won't work, if right bad motor.

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

Just in case you need a new motor, look here for $14.95:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9238
I bought and install one and it worked great.

#4 5 years ago

Measure voltage at both sets of wires (4 wires, 2 & 2 without a schematic I'm assuming they're paired). I get 6.9V DC at both pairs, when I run the motor test, 1 set drops to 0v, the other stays constant at 6.9V

Is that a strange voltage? I figured it would be 12V

#5 5 years ago

The gray/yellow wire, witch comes from J141-2 should be 12v, and goes to both. The other wire for solenoid #39 is yellow/white and goes to J110-4, and for solenoid #40 it is green/white and goes to J110-5.

#6 5 years ago

I have 14v at gray/yellow, 9.7v at Green/brown & 10.7 at Tan/red - the connector coming from the backbox to the stepper board. Measurements taken on the pins of the stepper board connector while not plugged into the board.

#7 5 years ago

So is the yellow/white replaced by the green/brown, and green/white replaced by the tan/red? Do these wires go to the solenoids or come from J110-4 and J110-5?

#8 5 years ago

Sorry, I just went across the connector and measured what voltages I had. Yellow/White has continuity with the J110-4 as does the Green/White at J110-5. Measuring these two wires for voltages yields a reading of 0v.

#9 5 years ago

stepper-conn.jpg

Here's a picture where you can see the basics of the operation of the wheel.
Depending on the inputs A and B, the exits of P2 are 0 volt or 9 Volt dc.

#10 5 years ago

Ok, sounds like the 9-10v on one and 0v on the other is a good reading. But you said earlier you only got 6.9v, so where's the voltage drop. Low voltage probably won't let the motor run.

#11 5 years ago

Maybe one channel is working and gives a lower reading because of the high-speed pulsing,
and the channel other is stuck to 0 and 9 volts.

In that case, one of the data inputs could have bad connection.

#12 5 years ago

All of the diodes check out (tested in circuit), only one that's possibly off if D10 - measures 664. Most all of the resistors are within tolerance, except the 100K, that reading is at about 60K.

Anything else I should check for? I've reflowed solder on the input connector.

Thank you for all the help so far everyone.

#13 5 years ago

With some reservation because I have no Scared Stiff or stepperPCB to verify.

D10 and D9 are in serie and should measure about the same.
Resistor 100K reading 60K, is that R13 ? That one is for Opto-receiver and not motor-control. does opto work?

During the spider motor test, PDB J110-4 and J110-5 are pulsing at high speed from high to low.
This signal is connected to steppermotorcontrolboard J1-4 and J1-5.
High = 12Volt Low = 0Volt. If there's no pulse, possible U3 of PowerDriverBoard is bad

If there is a pulse signal, you could perform this test to find out if the stepperPCB is working:
-machine on
-disconnect PDB J110
-jumper J1-7 (GND) to J1-4 (input A). Does the motor move 1 step ? and/or
-jumper J1-7 (GND) to J1-5 (input B). Does the motor move 1 step ?

You mention you hear the motor humming so I assume settings A.2 30 is set to "NO"

1 week later
#14 5 years ago

Well, the problem is resolved. Ended up being the 5 pin molex connector in the back box. Replaced the housings and repinned all the wires and now it works like a charm. Some testing with alligator clips & my meter helped me isolate this.

Thanks to everyone that helped. There are a lot of really smart people that post on here.

Joe

7 months later
#15 4 years ago

Hoi Zaza,
Its sounds you know how it works the spider motor, i tried some stuff bud it wont turn.

please help.

#16 4 years ago

Help is on the way, but it's almost sleeping time over here but will first finish my drink.
What's the problem with the spider ?

#18 4 years ago

Ok, will look there

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jackson, MI

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside