Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by viperrwk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

My system 7 pin's diagnostics sometimes work and sometimes they don't. I've tried reseating the connector for it on the CPU and that doesn't seem to affect it, so I don't really think its a bad connection there. All boards were repaired by Clive, so I'd like to think its just an issue with the buttons themself.

What else to check? How can I test the buttons on the coin door? Any thoughts?
    Clays guide didn't offer too much help.

Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

With the machine off and the connectors to the coin door apart, use a ohm meter to test the switches.

#3 11 years ago

So pull the connector at the CPU, then test the switches themselves at the coin door? Like the diodes or the switches themselves?

I guess I don't know how to test them.

#4 11 years ago

bump. Anyone know who to test the test buttons?

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

bump. Anyone know who to test the test buttons?

You do.

Think about it. All that button does is short lugs together.

I bet if you think really hard on it, you could replicate that with a piece of wire at the lugs or at the board.

LTG

#6 11 years ago

I wish I did LTG. I'm not too electrically savvy.

I have a fella coming to look at this pin in about a week to purchase too, so I'd like to get it fixed by then.

#7 11 years ago

Each button probably has 2 wires running to it. The switch just breaks (or connects) these two wires. Just bypass the switch and use a jumper wire to connect the two wires, this will replicate the switch closure.

#8 11 years ago

Gotcha mystic. I needed the layman's version.

So if using a jumper works and allows me to enter diagnostics mode, it's probably just the button itself?

Thing is is that sometimes diagnostics work... sometimes they don't.

#9 11 years ago

Correct.

I had a similar issue on a volume button. Eventually it stopped working entirely. It was intermittent at first. Just replaced the whole switch bank.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for the help.

I wonder if it could be cleaned out or something.

#11 11 years ago

Could just be a loose wire on the switch as well.

#12 11 years ago

I had a diagnostic switch on a sys 11 that didn't work properly because someone had rewired it incorrectly. I could get it into the adjustments but not the diagnostics themselves. Had to rewire the switch and wound up replacing it anyway while I was at it.

Easy thing to do - compare the switch/wiring on your sys7 game to that on your Flash (assuming the switch was working correctly before the driver board failed.) It should be the same.

Hans from Siegecraft makes a nifty little switch emulator that eliminates the diagnostic switches from the circuit and plugs directly into the MPU:

http://www.siegecraft.us/pinball/diaginputs.html

If you hook this up and can run diags correctly with it you know the switch/harness is a problem.

viperrwk

#13 11 years ago

Now THAT is a great little product. I can't believe i've never seen that. And Hans never mentioned it! And for $6??!

Would this work in diagnosing the issue: Unplug 1J4 and jumper the specific pin to the ground pin an see if diagnostics works? Like connect 1J4 pin 3 (advance button) to pin 2 (ground) by a jumper?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Now THAT is a great little product. I can't believe i've never seen that. And Hans never mentioned it! And for $6??!
    Would this work in diagnosing the issue: Unplug 1J4 and jumper the specific pin to the ground pin an see if diagnostics works? Like connect 1J4 pin 3 (advance button) to pin 2 (ground) by a jumper?

Yes - that would be like pressing the advance button with the toggle set to manual down. To simulate pressing advance with it set to auto up you'd also have to jump pins 2 & 4 at the same time. That's why Hans' device is so cool - for $6!

viperrwk

#15 11 years ago

Thanks Viper!

Just trying to pin down whether the issue is board or wiring.

#16 11 years ago

Think I found the culprit.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 11 years ago

loose wire.. i win i win! Glad you tracked it down buddy!

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

loose wire.. i win i win! Glad you tracked it down buddy!

I believe you do win sir! Thank you.

The diagnostics didn't work this morning, so upon a REALLY close inspection (and i thought I already inspected pretty good) I found that kinked wire. I pressed it together with my fingers, hit the diagn. button and boom. Diagnostics were entered.

This has gotta be the issue. I think i'll snip the wire, twist and solder. Should be fine.

#19 11 years ago

Glad you found it and it will be an easy fix. Seems to be a common Williams problem.

viperrwk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-please-diagnostic-buttons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.