5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1030 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Atariforever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Williams system 11B: Swords Of Fury
Having some trouble with pinpointing the issue of having no sound on my Swords of Fury.
First: The game works/plays 100% fine only with no sound. The sound worked fine until i swapped out the original power supply board with a Rottendog power supply board. On the initial power up there was no sound. Re-installed original power board and still no sound at all. The game boots /plays fine.

Below is a list of the troubleshooting,so far...
--- At power up of the game there is no " bong sound" for audio board.
--- no sound when SW 1 pressed on MPU
--- I have tried a known "good sound board" from my "Police Force"; with the sound chips switched out in Audio board. It still had no boot up sound or any sounds when playing.
--- The Audio board from Swords of Fury i installed in Police Force [ Roms swapped]and it booted fine but only the voices worked.
-- I swapped the J4 ribbon cable from Police force to rule out a faulty cable. Still no difference.
--- I swapped the J1 cable from from Police Force to rule out that cable. Still no difference.
--- All capacitors on sound board have been replaced . C1,C3,C4,C8,C12,C19,C24,C26,C30,C29,C32
--- The two Audio amps on sound board --U22 & U23 have been replaced with two new TDA2003's
--- i swapped chips U15 with U24 on the MPU . The game boots fine.

Could it be bad sound U21 or U22 on Mpu? or bad Sound Roms on Audio board ...or something else on MPU
Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

#3 5 years ago

Hi

Thanks for the reply.
I removed C26 capacitor to test and figured i would just replace with a new 100uf/35v one.
I re-powered back up the game and it did not make any difference. The game plays fine ; but with no sound.
The cpu board looks in overall great shape , no corrosion. I replaced the battery holder about 3 years ago when i got the machine and it played fine until now.
Attached is a picture of the CPU battery area.

IMG_1030 (resized).JPGIMG_1030 (resized).JPG
#5 5 years ago

sorry, i misunderstood, I have only a basic digital multimeter.
I do not have an oscilloscope; not a professional repair person, just my own games.
Can you refresh me on how to test for the numbers you need from the capacitor if i do not remove it.

#7 5 years ago

The DC measures at 5.01
The AC measures at 10.01

#9 5 years ago

Thank you for your patience.
I did get the DC readings at
C25 at 14.43
original power board pin 2 3j6 at 14.88
rottendog power board pin 2 3j6 at 14.72
I checked several times and the readings were pretty close to the above numbers every time
The only AC settings on my meter has either 200 or 750 . I cannot get any readings with either. Would these settings be to high to get the small reading needed for the AC?

#11 5 years ago

Yes, correct, there is no power up "bong" or any sounds/music while playing the "Swords of Fury".
A point i forgot to mention. I do have the volume control knob turned completely down because of a loud hum that started; after the sound went. It sounds like the normal "Williams hum" but much louder.
The volume control knob do increase/decrease the "hum" sound on the speakers when used. Even when knob is completely turned down the hum is present; I do hear static as well when knob turned up/down.
The test you asked me to do is very hard to hear the results because when i turn the control knob up on max the "hum" sound is extremely loud.

#14 5 years ago

I have re checked all the cables/ribbon to the sound board in the "Swords of Fury"; they are all correct. No backwards ribbon/etc.
I also have a system 11b "Police Force" and "Big Guns" and the cables/ribbon are all identical on all the three machines. The "PF" and"BG" work perfect with sound.
Just to clarify - i only keep the sound knob turned down to minimize the loud hum. There is no boot up "bong" or any sound [ music/sound/voice] when "SOF" is on ; only the hum noise.

#16 5 years ago

I have re-checked the battery holder area. Everything looks fine. No corrosion .The battery holder was replaced 2-3 years ago.New batteries every year.

#18 5 years ago

re-checked the four wire cables J1&J2 ;both seem fine.
I even swapped the J1 cable from sound board to MPU with the cable from my "Big guns". Both work fine in "BG" ; I tried the J1 cable from "BG" in "Swords " and still no difference.

#20 5 years ago

first i checked the test points on the Rottendog power supply
5v =5.06
+12= 12.54
-12 -14.47

I believe i used the correct testing area to get readings on the sound board
5v at capacitor C23 = 5.04
+12v at capacitor C22 = 12.29
-12v at capacitor C20 = -14.20
Would this be the correct testing area?

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

#22 5 years ago

just wondering, any new suggestions?

1 week later
#24 5 years ago

i turned the pot up high- pressed sw1 - could not hear any difference in sound [ no beeps/bong]- only the very loud hum
rebooted game , went to sound test - no difference on any setting pressed. - only the loud hum. Could not tell of any faint sounds/blips sounds because of the hum sound. If any occurred, i could not hear them.
I checked the Ohms . Both the cabinet speaker and back board is rated at 4ohms. The readings i received on both was 2.4. . I also checked my known working speakers in my"Big Guns"; which has the identical speakers and got the exact readings of 2.4.

#27 5 years ago

I took the readings again; with the speakers disconnected and both readings were 3.9
I unfortunately do not own a oscilloscope.

2 years later
#28 3 years ago

Just thought i would update this thread and mark it resolved in case anyone may look at it for a reference. The "Swords of Fury" is now working fine. The entire problem started when i installed a new Rottendog power supply . I have used other Rottendog products with no trouble in other games. But this board was faulty and caused many issues. I have now an original Williams power supply installed with no problems...You take it on blind faith that a brand new board would be good....

The following repairs that were done to both boards below:
MPU- Replaced U2 MC1408P DAC Replaced U4 & U5 2 x MC1458P Op-Amp

Sound board ---Replaced U9, U10 & U17 3 x MC1458P Op-Amp Replaced U11MC1408P DAC

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Atariforever.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-no-sound-williams-system-11b-swords-of-fury?tu=Atariforever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.