Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by c2013
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi! I purchased a Bond Gottlieb system 80 not working. The boards in the game looked in bad shape. So I replaced the power supply board and the driver board and the mpu with new rottendog boards. I then powerd the game up. All the lights came on. The game would not take any credits. I looked at the coin door and noticed the credit switchs were bent up and the slam tilt switch wires were cut. I adjusted the credit switchs and connected the slam switch on the door. I also checked the tilt switch under the playfield to make sure it was open and the roll ball switch was open. Then I gave a few credits and started a game. The ball then kicked out of the out hole. At this point the jets and the side bumpers and the flippers will not activate. I then checked the pop up bumpers and the score switchs on the playfield and they all worked. I also checked the diodes under the playfield and on the bottom of the cabnet and they were all fine accept one underneath the playfield. I did notice on the old mpu board that they had defeated the slam tilt. Yesterday I went back and looked at the game and I tied the two wires together on the slam tilt. Then I went to give the game credits and start a game and the game would not give credits. I then turned game off and turned back on and the game playfield lights went off and the display was lit. I hooked the wires back directly to the slam switch again and the playfield lights come on but wont let me give it credits. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Connectors, connectors, and connectors.

Boards in bad shape due to acid damage, surely took a bite out of the pins on some of those connectors. Even if they didn't, those pins are old and brittle after 30 years. Inspect the connectors closely, eye ball aj6, and the smaller one next to it which is where the credit come into. It is all too common (and necessary) to have bad pins that need to be re-pinned. It's time consuming, but easy and it eliminates system 80 problems.

As for the non working solenoids, did you check the cabinet fuse for the solenoids? How is your harness connector?

#3 8 years ago

Yup, sounds like connector pins problems.

#4 8 years ago

I used to own this pin with the original ROMS. One of the worst machines I've ever played. I guess the sotry was it was a huge flop and as a last minute attempt to save it, Gottlieb released the traditional ball count ROM vs the timer. Good luck with this one.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the repair advice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-needed-on-a-1980-bond-gottlieb-system-80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.