Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrWizzo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Right side works perfectly. Reset the data in utilities, and it hits the left ramp almost flawlessly. However, left side inop.

Left side switches all work (inlane, opto, proximity). Right side eddy sensor board good; left side eddy sensor board no good. Switched boards, and nothing worked. Concluded that good right board revealed another issue on left side, and on right side the left side board was again confirmed inop. Switched the small socketed IC on the boards without effect. Reset ribbon cable between CPU and PDB also.

Since three of the four wires (ground, +12V and Col. 4) going to the boards are the same, I checked the continuity from the spitter to the two connectors and everything had continuity. On the board side of that splitter, there are two WHT-VIO wires. One coming from J208-8, and I have not yet figured out where that other one goes.

Since the right side works, and the left side has continuity of the wiring from splitter to connector at eddy sensor, I checked the continuity of the WHT-VIO wire at ROW 7 on the switch matrix from J208-8 to the splitter, and there is continuity.

So, left side eddy sensor is bad, and another problem exists prior to the wiring coming out of J208-8 or where the other WHT-VIO leads.

Next steps include 1) switching PDB from my CV into the MB and then CPU if necessary, 2) hitting all the solder points on the left side eddy sensor board, 3) figuring out where that other WHT-VIO wire goes, and 4) turn to the schematics and trace the circuit for J208-8.

If there is anything that I may have missed or not done correctly from the above description in working on the wiring from the boards down to the proximity sensor switches at the playfield, please let me know.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Thanks as always.

Dan

#2 11 years ago

If you move the right board to the left, you would have to play a number of games after a reset before there is enough "samples" for the left PF to start working. It does sound like the left board may have a problem, though.

If both chips work in the right, they're almost certainly OK.

Also, there are LEDs on the board that can be used to determine if they're working OK, but I don't remember exactly what they do without looking it up.

#3 11 years ago

I played a bunch more at your suggestion, which was something I did not think of yesterday.

I connected the left side wiring to the good board and left the right side unconnected. Same result.
The right side lit up for the feature and the left did nothing. Repeatedly, the feature activated but only on the right side.

When we talk about the game needed enough samples, this is regarding accuracy or activation as well?

Dan

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

When we talk about the game needed enough samples, this is regarding accuracy or activation as well?

Activation. Normally, with both boards working, you would reset the PF data, play a bunch of games, and each of them could activate at different times.

#5 11 years ago

Found a transistor with two broken legs on the bad board. Soldered them and now the Phantom Flip feature activates as it should, lighting and alternating with each flip.

Right side flips consistently. Left side still problematic. Need to check the schematic and take another look at the board.

Dan

#6 11 years ago

Double checked the broken legs on the transistor and resoldered them. Works without error now. Will replace the transistor.

YIPPEE!!!

Thanks again for the input Herg.

Dan

1 month later
#7 11 years ago

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am experiencing a similar problem...same one in fact, but opposite side is inop in my case. I've followed the above almost to a T (replaced Eddy boards, etc...) and have got the switch error to clear, but my right side Phantom Flip won't register during play. What's worse is I can't even get the lane to change with my flipper button presses (which has always persisted...I.e. not a new issue). FWIW, I'm only running version 1.0 code, version 1.6 is on the way. Could that fix my remaining issue(s)?

#8 11 years ago

Flipper button presses - you have two optos on your flipper button opto board. Go into switch edge test and see if both are working.

LTG

#9 11 years ago

Thanks, LTG. Will check when I get home.

#10 11 years ago

Molspin:

Just PMed you my phone number. Call me.

Dan

#11 11 years ago

Thanks, MrWizzo. On a flight right now, but will call you when I'm in front of my machine (early next week). Thanks, again!

#12 11 years ago

You may be surprised by the answer. There is another thread I posted showing how I modded the eddy boards and connectors.

Everything checked out perfectly when I rolled balls down in switched test, and neither board locked up.

So I play a couple games, and the left side starts working, but the right side shows the same symptoms as you described. I check everything several times. I got so frustrated. I posted a message about how absolutely out of my mind I was.

LTG gently reminded me to take a break. Best advice I could have heard. Left it for a bit. Went back to it next day calmer.

Cleared the settings for the Phantom flip and got to playing to get them up again. Left side sets fairly quickly with nothing on the right side. So I commit myself to making as many right side flips off the right ramp as I can to give the chip a wealth of information. It took I don't knwo how many games and successful flips, but eventually the right side set.

The feature has been fixed ever since. it still misses the occasional flip, but what a blast it is to have the game hit back to back ramp shots!

I think that may be where you are. If not, we'll figure it out.

Where you going?

Dan

#13 11 years ago

Ha! I was hoping you'd say something along those lines. Thanks for the detailed description, your thread has got me this far...sorry I missed your follow up.

I am on my way to D.C. I travel quite a bit for work, but this trip is solely for pleasure and it's my first time going there. Really excited, but missing my pins already...feels 'weird' saying that, but it's the truth.

#14 11 years ago

Dude, I live 20 miles from DC and ten minutes from Dulles. You have all the pins you want to play, as long as it's no more than the eleven I have. I can show you in person how I modded the eddy boards.

If you want, I can probably get othere pinsiders together for you to meet. Did the same for BillP from cleveland when he came into town. You gotta meet Herg. He's a freakin' genius!

What time you landing tonight? Dulles, BWI, or Reagan? Where are you staying?

Glad to hear the post has been helpful. Here is the one on the wiring mods:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-phantom-flip-wiring-mod

Look forward to meeting you if your schedule allows. Call me.

Dan

#15 11 years ago

You're kidding me!? I'll PM you my phone number. I do have a packed schedule, but am pretty sure I can make time.

I'm flying into Dulles and staying in Arlington. I land at 11 tonight. Thanks a lot for the invite, I'll get you my info.

#16 11 years ago

You want to play some pin tonight?

I'll pick you up at Dulles. WE can come to my house and play for a while and then I'll take you to Arlington. I am up all hours of the night and work out of my home, so I have no schedule to juggle. Not an imposition at all.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 75.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-mb-phantom-flip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.