(Topic ID: 98163)

TECH HELP: made a dumbass mistake, now no sound from backbox speakers in No Fear

By cosmokramer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Yes, I am a dumbass....when I was installing a new dmd display in my NF I pinched the two wires for the backbox speakers in between the ground wire for the display where it connects to the bolt that holds the display in place...now I have no sound from the backbox speakers (cab speaker is ok)... I repaired the wires and checked the fuses but still no sound, just a very low crackle sound... any ideas where to troubleshoot?

#2 9 years ago

Audio board, likely something damaged on it.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Assuming you checked continuity of wires from board to speaker.

LTG : )™

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yes, I am a dumbass....when I was installing a new dmd display in my NF I pinched the two wires for the backbox speakers in between the ground wire for the display where it connects to the bolt that holds the display in place...now I have no sound from the backbox speakers (cab speaker is ok)... I repaired the wires and checked the fuses but still no sound, just a very low crackle sound... any ideas where to troubleshoot?

likely took out the TDA2030A amp chip. It's the 5 legged transistor looking think on the large heat sink. (after checking continuity in the wire like Lloyd suggested)

#5 9 years ago

Happens to the best of us. Just goes to show double check when done. We have all gotten the whoops did I just do that!!!!!!!! feeling at one time or another....No worries..all part of the pinball experience.
Sounds like you shorted the amp chip out for the BB speakers. Looks like a transistor...well.. kind of. Easy to replace and it should fix the problem. Obviously check all upstream components and down stream components with your eyes and a dmm where possible but that chip is usually the thing to go in this case when it gets shorted out. Of course after checking wires first with said dmm.

#7 9 years ago

continuity checks out ok from board to speakers...visually the board components all look ok including the TDA2030A amp chip...can I test that amp chip or is it most likely fried under these circumstances and should just be replaced? Thanks

#8 9 years ago

you can sometimes verify the short in the amp. Meter out all 5 pins to each other. None of them should be a dead short. If you find one the amp is toast.

#9 9 years ago

ok...I found a dead short in one of the amp chips...luckily a electrical parts house near me had one, It was 3 times the cost as the ones online but without having to pay for shipping and waiting a week it was worth it...I will try to find time today to solder new one on and report back...thanks for all the replies

#10 9 years ago

Good luck!

#11 9 years ago

well new amp chip was soldered in and..........still no backbox sound...continuity is ok, speakers are ok...where do I go from here?

how hard would it be to swap sound board out of my Shadow to test? not sure how many chips I would need to swap in the board?

#12 9 years ago

Check the resistors around the amp for that circuit. Sometimes one will burn with the amp.

#13 9 years ago

I will check it out later today....thanks

#14 9 years ago

A huge thank you to everybody who helped me with this problem. I now have back box speakers working great! Turns out I did a bad job when I soldered the amp chip in...as I was checking resistors as suggested I decided to re solder the amp chip and now all is good. Thanks again for your help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-made-a-dumbass-mistake-now-no-sound-from-backbox-speakers-in-no-fear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.