Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by FatPanda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I noticed the left sling on my Mr & Mrs Pac-man was sagging awhile ago. When I took a look under the playfield, one of the screws holding it into the playfield had come lose over time.

When the mechanism sagged, it broke two wires that connect the switches on either side of the sling. At this point, the sling wasn't working because (guessing here) the switches weren't connected.

At the time, I figured I could just play the machine with a broken left sling, and then all of a sudden, the sling began to rapidly fire. I turned the game off to interrupt it/stop it. It would only happen periodically though.

I'd mistakenly thought that because the switch wires were broken off that no power was being delivered to the coil.

Question - is the rapid-fire sling coil due to a bad coil/solenoid or something else?

If it *is* the coil, will replacing with a new one from Marco (or wherever) resolve the issue?

#2 2 years ago

Sounds like your sling shot switches are out of adjustment, that why they're intermittently firing. Your coil is good because it's firing. Repair your wires and adj. the switches.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Sounds like your sling shot switches are out of adjustment,

+1

#4 2 years ago

That makes sense - if the coil were bad, it wouldn't fire at all. I will check the switch adjustment. Thanks poppapin!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from crashpad:

That makes sense - if the coil were bad, it wouldn't fire at all. I will check the switch adjustment. Thanks poppapin!

Or the rubber is stretched too tight in this area. Move it to provide slack.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from crashpad:

Let us know if you get it fixed...

#7 2 years ago

Will do - i will look at it either Friday or Saturday and keep you posted

#8 2 years ago

Just took a look at the left sling switches, and tried adjusting, but I must have missed this before – it isn't firing at all when the switch is closed from the rubber pushing the contact together.

Not sure where to go from here because I'd thought I'd repaired the broken wiring correctly.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from crashpad:

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

The right side working ?

Wire the left the same way.

LTG : )

#10 2 years ago

Cap on switch may have fries from short. Remove the cap and see if the problem goes away.

#11 2 years ago

LTG – yes, the right side is working; thanks

BigAl56 – I can remove the capacitor on the switch – how do I determine what to replace it with and where to buy (new to fixing part of hobby) / could I get locally, like Fry's Electronics or a Radio Shack (not sure if we even have any here in Arizona, but will check); thanks

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from crashpad:

LTG – yes, the right side is working; thanks
BigAl56 – I can remove the capacitor on the switch – how do I determine what to replace it with and where to buy (new to fixing part of hobby) / could I get locally, like Fry's Electronics or a Radio Shack (not sure if we even have any here in Arizona, but will check); thanks

The slings should work even with the caps removed (or more commonly, one leg of the cap cut), they just won't be as sensitive to fast repeating switch hits. I didn't see it, but did you correct the broken wires on the switch(es)? That would be the first thing before you do anything else.

You can replace the caps with these
ebay.com link: 100 x 0 047uF 50V Ceramic Disc Capacitors Free Shipping

#13 2 years ago

FatPanda – yes, I did correct the broken wires (at least I removed the broken, then soldered two new pieces of wire on the switches). If I cut one side of the cap that will tell me if it will work?

Thanks for the cap info

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from crashpad:

If I cut one side of the cap that will tell me if it will work?

Yes.

LTG : )

#15 2 years ago

Thanks LTG – I will try that next

#16 2 years ago

going back to the switch, do you have a multi-meter? My next step would be to check continuity when the switch is closed. If the switch is dirty, clean the contacts with a business card or something similar. We should make sure the switch is working first.

Also, as LTG suggested, if the right sling and switches are working, use that as a reference point to make sure the left side was wire correctly as well.

#17 2 years ago

Is there a diode on the switch? I would test that with a DMM to confirm if it is working or not.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside