(Topic ID: 29194)

TECH: Help Gilligan get off his island (not rotating)

By kguenther6

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

My friend has a Gilligan's Island. His island will rotate when you first start a game but stop rotating after a playing for a little while. I put the the island on the motor test and it rotates for a minute and then stops and won't rotate again until I turn the game off/on. It will then start rotating again for a short while. I won't be able to get over to his house again until next week but wanted to get some ideas of what to look at before I go back to his house. I never trouble shot a motor before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken

#2 11 years ago

make sure all the sensors are working. the zero out switch might not be working and it might be just spinning and binding up. The wires going to the board might be flaky, or the pins to the molex to the board have cold solder joints.

#3 11 years ago

It has an opto switch and it seems to be working fine. I watched it with a camera to see the light and every time I blocked the switch it would register. But I will check the other things you mentioned. Thanks!

#4 11 years ago

I thought there were 2 or 3 opto switches on a board, Similar to TZ's clock system. Because the island has 3 or 4 positions it needs to know where it is.

#5 11 years ago

Test the opto switches WITH THE ISLAND ITSELF. I had a sample GI that had optos that seemed to be working fine. When I tested it with the island, or any other green plastic of that thickness, it failed to register interruption. Was the weirdest thing I'd seen up to that point.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I thought there were 2 or 3 opto switches on a board, Similar to TZ's clock system. Because the island has 3 or 4 positions it needs to know where it is.

The island has just 1 opto switch. It has notches cut in the bottom of the island that rotate though the one switch to determine if its in the correct position.

Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Test the opto switches WITH THE ISLAND ITSELF

I ran the motor test with the island in it and it shows what the switch registers. It would always register correctly.

#7 11 years ago

I've been doing some reading on PinWiki. There isn't much info on motors but from what I have read they are turned on/off just like coils. That should help me debug the problem. But there is a relay board by the motor that also helps control it. Does anyone know how the relay board works or how to test it? I don't see any info on PinWiki about the relay.

#8 11 years ago

Almost every time I've had a motor problem, it's ended up being the relay. The relay energizes with a 12VDC voltage, to switch on/off the AC voltage that goes to the motor. Sometimes all you have to do is reflow the solder dots on the relay, sometimes you have to replace the relay.

Here is a link to the relay PCB

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14423-1

Here is a link to the relay itself.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5580-12782-00

Good luck!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Sometimes all you have to do is reflow the solder dots on the relay

I'll give that a try next week. Thanks.

1 week later
#10 11 years ago

Just an update... I reflowed the solder dots on the relay as LOTR suggested and its been working good ever since. I think it fixed it. Thanks LOTR!

6 months later
#11 10 years ago

Hi, just noticed this post. I had this problem also when I first shopped my Gilligans, re flowing the relay solder pads worked for me also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/route2pass/8492459879/in/photostream

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-gilligan-get-off-his-island-not-rotating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.