(Topic ID: 124404)

Tech help EM WMS triple strike (1975) pinball not starting

By pinballsteph

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

This is my first EM. Have been reading up on how these work and the startup sequence.

the machines powers up and the game over light is lit. ball is in game. I add credit, and it accepts it. I press start, the machine (not in any order) resets score reels to zero, one credit subtracted, ball unit moves to what appears to be ball one, drop targets move up, but then ...

the machine keeps on clicking... (one small relay in the head, some big 10 unit relay under the playfield keeps on resetting and some wheel with stacks (8 or so) of switches keep cycling until i power off the machine.

if I look at the power up sequence, i think it does almost all of it... could it be a switch in the big 10 unit relay that is not registering on or off? not sure what this SWITCH ON BLUE is from the sequence below. I have no idea where to start. any help would be appreciated.

start sequence i got from another thread.
"COIN RELAY IS ENERGIZED AT SCORE MOTOR INDEX CAM SWITCH C, THRU SWITCH ON COIN RELAY, GAME RELAY, ZERO SWITCH ON CREDIT UNIT AND CREDIT BUTTON SWITCH.
SWITCHES ON COIN RELAY WILL ENERGIZE GAME*OVER RELAY, ENERGIZE RESET RELAY, ENERGIZE A&:B AND C& TARGET RESET COILS, ENERGIZE GAME RELAY LATCH COIL THRU WIPER ON BALL COUNT UNIT (AT ZERO POSITION), AND PULSE BALL COUNT RESET AND S.U. COILS THRU SWITCH D ON GAME RELAY.
SWITCHES ON RESET RELAY WILL RUN SCORE MOTOR, PULSE SCORE RESET RELAY, THRU SCORE MOTOR IMPULSE CAM SWITCH, ENERGIZE BONUS RELAY THRU SWITCH ON "1 TO 10 SET-UP RELAY't, AND ENERGIZE 1 TO 10
RELAY BANK RESET COIL. (115 VOLTS).
SWITCHES ON SCORE RESET RELAY WILL PULSE 4 SCORE DRUM UNITS UNTIL THEY REACH ZERO.
SWITCHES ON BONUS RELAY \-TILL RUN SCORE MOTOR, HOLD RESET RE- LAY IN, PULSE STRIKE BONUS UNIT RESET COIL, PULSE 1 TO 10 BONUS DRUM UNIT, PULSE EJECT ADVANCE DRUM UNIT IF ZERO SWITCH IS CLOSED, ENERGIZE 1 TO 10 HOLD RELAY AND 1 TO 10 SET-UP RELAY.
BONUS RELAY DROPS OUT WHEN STRIKE BONUS UNIT IS RESET TO ZERO AND THE "1 TO 10 SET-UP RELAY" IS ENERGIZED (AT SCORE MOTOR
- CAM SWITCH 6A). NOW WHEN THE SCORE MOTOR REACHES INDEX POSITION, THE OUTHOLE RELAY \-JILL ENERGIZE.
SWITCHES ON OUTHOLE RELAY WILL RUN SCORE MOTOR, ENERGIZE
1 TO 10 RELAY BANK RESET COIL (115 VOLTS) THRU SWITCH ON BLUE
STAR RELAY, AND ENERGIZE BALL RELEASE COIL TO PROPEL BALL TO- WARD PLUNGER."

#2 9 years ago

Get the schematic from PBR. A lot of these going on lately.
chk game over,tilt, and start relay switches.

#3 9 years ago

well, i got it somewhat working. but i have to put the ball in play manually. it finally stops cycling and ball 1 is lit! when in play, flippers work, slings, drop targets, pop bumper, it all works. point go up etc...

but when the ball drains, nothing happens. the switch appears fine, the coil measured good when machine is off (6 ohms or so).

not sure what the issue is. will look at getting schematics, but would be nice to get her going before i completely strip the playfield to clean it.

looks like its been in a garage with the glass off for a couple of years... plastics were off and look nice. had no rubbers, or bulbs in the machine when i got it.

#4 9 years ago

Locate the outhole relay, and with the ball in the drain, manually close the relay and see if that does anything. it may be the switch in the outhole.
did you tighten all the switch stacks on the relays?
and how are you cleaning the switches? if the glass was off, everything will need to be cleaned if you want it to keep working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-em-wms-triple-strike-1975-pinball-not-starting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.