Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1003 (resized).JPG
IMG_0992 (resized).JPG
IMG_0946.JPG
IMG_0945.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys - pretty much a noob on anything that is not mechanical. My magnet does not work and I have the switch 42 error - which I think is an opto that activates the magnet - Is that correct?

If correct - it appears as though the opto is located on either side of the magnet in an area that can only be accessed by taking almost the entire pf apart?! - I have attached a pic where you can see the magnet and a hole where I assume one half of the opto resides. there is a similar hole across from it.

If all of the above is correct - is there a better way to fix this? Can I pull the magnet out from below and get at the optos?

Any help is certainly appreciated!

IMG_0945.JPGIMG_0945.JPG
#2 10 years ago

Without having a Dirty Harry anymore, my guess is those optos are accessed by removing the parts above them rather than below them. The removal of the magnet is probably unnecessary. But have you already figured out you need to do this?

Switch edge test, stick something in there to block them. They activate? Use a bright incandescent flashlight, that activate them? These help determine if they work or if its the transmitter or receiver that's bad before tearing everything down.

#3 10 years ago

Also - sort of OT for my own thread - but the magnet (never really looked at it this closely) seems to be too high in relation to the pf. May not be able to tell on this pic, but it is a good 1/16" or more above the pf surface and the part that gets run over has mushroomed a bit.

What is spec for these magnets? even with pf, slightly below, or slightly above?

#4 10 years ago

Thanks - markmon - I am going to try that now. I've never down a switch edge test, but have seen them in the menu.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Thanks - markmon - I am going to try that now. I've never down a switch edge test, but have seen them in the menu.

That's the handiest diagnostic on your game. I can't imagine fixing switch problems or error dots without it. You go there and manually trigger any switch and see its results.

Quoted from RTR:

Also - sort of OT for my own thread - but the magnet (never really looked at it this closely) seems to be too high in relation to the pf. May not be able to tell on this pic, but it is a good 1/16" or more above the pf surface and the part that gets run over has mushroomed a bit.
What is spec for these magnets? even with pf, slightly below, or slightly above?

It should be flush. You can adjust the height by loosening the big nut and turning the core with a flat blade but if its already mushroomed, you should probably leave it alone.

#6 10 years ago

Ran switch test - ball does not activate the switch. can't really get a flashlight in there - the designer of this game figured this switch would never go bad.

#7 10 years ago

Switch test was easy to do and awesome tool, you are right!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Ran switch test - ball does not activate the switch. can't really get a flashlight in there - the designer of this game figured this switch would never go bad.

I have a big bright incandescent light. I think flashing it in there at the angle you snapped the photo might even be enough.

#9 10 years ago

Bear with me. Having a tough time locating bright enough incandescent light source small enough to shine in there!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Bear with me. Having a tough time locating bright enough incandescent light source small enough to shine in there!

Test the light on other working optos to verify your light works.

#11 10 years ago

Made one! Worked really well.

It did not make the switch work. Not sure I really understand the concept though.

IMG_0946.JPGIMG_0946.JPG
#12 10 years ago

I shone the light on the other optos and it prevented them from working.

#13 10 years ago

OK - I read a little about about the incandescent test - I put a piece of tape over the transmitter ( on an easier to get to opto - not 42) and used the light on the receiver and it closed. so the light is strong enough. And it did not even cause 42 to show on the matrix

1 year later
#14 8 years ago

Bumping this up because I had the same error and recently got it fixed with some help. You do have to take off both main plastic ramps to get to this opto--it's not accessible from the underside. It'll help to take off the backboard panel (only takes like 8 screws and one connector to remove it). Once you get access to it, look at the wires where the opto connects. Mine was failing because one of the wires had disconnected from the opto. A little solder and we were back in business!

1 year later
#15 7 years ago

Not sure if this is the same game, but I recently bought a Dirty Harry from RTR.

The game is mint, but it did still seem to have this switch 42 issue.

Turns out (in a sense of closure) that a wire was broken off both the transmitter and the receiver (two broken wires). Once those were re-soldered, it worked like a champ.

Thanks again, RTR (Mike). I also changed out the mushroomed magnet core. Everything works great!

IMG_0992 (resized).JPGIMG_0992 (resized).JPGIMG_1003 (resized).JPGIMG_1003 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 37.50
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-dirty-harry-switch-42-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.