Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by EEE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EEE.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

On our as-2518-23 for Embryon, a couple of the controlled lamps are locked on. I traced them to q1 and q4.

I think that I may have a bad U1 chip. How do I test that one?

5 months later
#5 9 years ago

It has been a while for me to get back to this. Any input on direction from you guys would be appreciated.

The symptoms that the lamp driver board show are that q1, q2, q3 q4, q5, q6 and q7 all test within clay's specs (~.5 to .6) when the red lead is is touched to the Gate and the black lead is touched to the Cathode.

I even replaced q3 just to see if that would solve the problem and the result is the same, so I have ruled out the SCRs.

All of those 7 SCRs return no result when the two leads are switched. But the other 50 do.

I noted that all of the other 50 SCRs tested at approx 1.04 which is much lower than Clay suggested at 1.46. I also tested the resistors and they ohm out within a reasonable tolerance level.

Could this still be an issue with U1? Is there a way to test it? It looks like a bear to replace

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

i doubt the decoder is bad. they almost never are.
you either have a connector issue or a scr issue. suspect the decoder last.... i have shorted 12v to the decoders 5v rail before and they all lived.

I actually pulled the main lamp driver board to test it.

**edit - I used Clays guide to test all of the SCR's and when I reversed the leads on my multimeter all but those 7 tested very similarly. Those 7 did not return a value.

#8 9 years ago

To add some specificity, the controlled lamps that are either out or locked on

Locked on during attract mode - q7, q1, q2, q4
Locked on During game play - none
Out during attract mode and game play - q31, q45, q6, q19, q5, q18, q30, q43

At this point it seems unlikely that u1 is the problem since the SCRs in question are tied to multiple decoders.

I suspect that the ones out during gameplay and attract mode are a connector issue at this point.

#12 9 years ago

...seems unlikely to me since we are using a new Alltek MPU...

But the connector issue certainly seems probable.

#15 9 years ago

Well after all it turns out to be a connector that goes between the playfield and A5 J2. It is a 9-pin one that I hadn't built up a corresponding connector from the lamp driver board, J2 connector.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EEE.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-bally-lamp-driver-board?tu=EEE and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.