(Topic ID: 58979)

Tech Help: ACDC spring unwound/unhooked?

By kid_ego

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3.16_ID_Rubber_Ring_380316B.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Got our ACDC Pro today and got it set up tonight.

Noticed a spring (?) sticking out in an area where it's causing the ball to sometimes hang up. And it's one of those things I didn't notice when I first unboxed and prepped the machine for play.

Can someone with an ACDC Pro look at their play field and see if this wire is sticking out or post a picture of the same area for me to compare? Any thoughts on what it might be or why it's sticking out like that?

Edit: Uploaded the pic and realized you may not see it. It's sticking out to the left just to the right of the "note" light in the center of the image.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

As far as I know that wire is to stop the straight down the middle drains you can get from the ball coming out of the pops. I could be wrong as I don't own this machine but I'm pretty sure that's it .

#3 10 years ago

It is installed there from factory as stated above to stop straight down the middle drains, however I removed mine after a few weeks when cleaning playfield I noticed this spring had started to wear into the playfield ( scratch from the pressure of the ball which will not come out) so I would recommend taking spring off to avoid damage to playfield. I have other friends who have done the same. It has not made any difference in regards to draining

#4 10 years ago

The spring is there to prevent the ball from draining down the middle when exiting the pop bumpers as mentioned above. My buddy removed the spring and placed a fat rubber on the post to the right of the left ramp to help avoid the middle drains...works very well.

Congrats on the new pin, it's a great one

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Thought about bending the arm of the spring to allow the ball to roll off more easily (tilted getting it free last night), but the comments about scratching the play field have me nervous to leave it in there at all.

I'll probably give the fat rubber a try.

Any idea what size rubber your buddy used, jmule?

#6 10 years ago

The one I play on location had that spring thing removed entirely, and the game played good...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

The one I play on location had that spring thing removed entirely, and the game played good...

That's good to know. The wife played one game on it before bed (it's her pin), the ball got stuck, she tilted, and then said, "There goes a good game!"

So I better get it taken care of because we all know: "A happy wife...is a wife who will allow you to buy more pins!"

#8 10 years ago

This little guy here. #38-0316B

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RUBB-BLACKRING

3.16_ID_Rubber_Ring_380316B.jpg3.16_ID_Rubber_Ring_380316B.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Awesome! Thanks, jmule!

Do you know if he had to put anything in place of the spring once it was removed (post, etc.)? Was it a pain for him to remove? (I'm sort of a noob when it comes to messing around on the play field. Need to start getting in there and get myself more comfortable from the tech side of these things.)

#10 10 years ago

You just pull a few screws from the plastic above it and take it off from the top. Then you can pull a couple screws from the left ramp and slide a fat rubber on the post in place of the skinny rubber.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from sawyerfamilyaz:

You just pull a few screws from the plastic above it and take it off from the top. Then you can pull a couple screws from the left ramp and slide a fat rubber on the post in place of the skinny rubber.

Yes sir

#12 10 years ago

Forgot to mention...since this new o-ring is bigger the ID and OD, it will need to be placed lower on the post then the current one is. I would suggest keeping the smaller factory o-ring there even after you install the new fatter one. Would buy a few extra and possibly place them in other areas around that exit if needed. Enjoy!

#13 10 years ago

The game will also be A LOT more fun to play.

#14 10 years ago

I took the spring completely off mine, and then installed Hemi's bell mod. Not only does it look better and make the shot much more satisfying to hit, but it also nearly eliminates SDTM's off the bell. Taking the bell off of the "sucker shot" list turns the Pro into an outstanding game.

#15 10 years ago

The spring didn't just slide up off the post when I removed the plastic and rubber ring behind the TNT targets, so I just snipped off the portion of the spring that extended into the lane (flush with the wound section of the spring).

Doing that and installing the bell mod have improved things immensely.

I may still install the rubber ring on the post as suggested earlier in the thread, but for now everything seems to work great!

Once again...kudos to Pinside!

#16 10 years ago

Took a look at my 3 week old game and it doesn't have the spring, nor does it SDTM from the pops or bell. Maybe Stern fixed this?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

but for now everything seems to work great!

Glad everthing is going well for you now, very enjoyable game when you aren't losing the ball all the time do to SDTM's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-acdc-spring-unwoundunhooked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.