Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4 Square 3rd row lights (resized).jpg
Switch adjustment tool (resized).png
sequence bank mangled switches (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hey all,

Finally getting back into fixing some things, and man it feels good.

About 10 years ago, I left my 4 square playfield out for a few days leaning up against some boxes. Well, clumsy me, I tripped over it, knocked it over, and absolutely mangled a few of the switches on the sequence bank, I mean literally bending them up at 90 degree angles.

I just started working on the game about 2 weeks ago, straightened out the switches as best I could without taking them out, and I'm having an issue in which no matter what "level" of the 4 square I'm on, it also lights up the level 3 line as well. I'm sure it's on sequence bank 3 of the 4 square, but I can't get in there to adjust and straighten out the switches further.

What would the best way be to really get inside there, straighten / clean / adjust those switches? Can I just remove the screws, or is that a little dangerous with the switch stack falling apart?
sequence bank mangled switches (resized).jpgsequence bank mangled switches (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Remove one screw and stick a zip tie or wire through the hole; then unscrew the other. No risk of losing any bits.

#3 1 year ago

Are you using a switch adjustment tool?
https://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/77-SWK-B/large.jpg

Quoted from dr_nybble:

Remove one screw and stick a zip tie or wire through the hole

Great tip!

Switch adjustment tool (resized).pngSwitch adjustment tool (resized).png
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

I'm having an issue in which no matter what "level" of the 4 square I'm on, it also lights up the level 3 line as well.

Keep in mind that your issue might not be with the switches:
4 Square 3rd row lights (resized).jpg4 Square 3rd row lights (resized).jpg
To get all four lights on consistently you'd need either all four 3S relay switches to all be stuck closed, which seems unlikely, or all five of the remaining switches stuck closed which seems even more unlikely. You could check by blocking a 3S switch and the 2S switch with bits of paper to see if that changes things.

Could your 3S relay be tripping early, or stuck in the tripped position? That would keep the 3rd row on.

Another possibility is that you have a short on the solder tab end of the switches that somehow connects the white-black power rail to the four bulbs.

Also for those who don't know, the wing nuts on either end of the trip bank when loosened allow the entire trip bank to be rotated up for better access. Just be sure that the bank is fully seated when you return it to its working position and tighten down the wing nuts.

/Mark

#5 1 year ago

Thank you for the tips!

I know it seems like an easy task, but I've never had to adjust a sequence bank before. I've collected EMs for about 25 years, so am familiar with taking everything else apart, except sequence banks and player units. So yes, I have a switch adjusting tool, I know about the wing nuts flipping the unit up, and when putting it back down to ensure the bank frame is completely in the slot, etc.

The 3rd row isn't actually stuck "on". If I am on the 1st row, all lights are out at the start of the game. When I roll over one of the rollovers at the top (let's say the 1) it will light the 1 in the 1st row, but also light the one in the 3rd row. This continues until I complete the 1st row, then when it resets for the second row, it also resets the lights in the 3rd row, and it starts all over again. The actual gameplay of the 4 square works fine, it's just the lights in the 3rd horizontal row mirroring what is happening when you are on your 1st row, or 2nd row.

The frame is a little bent also, it's difficult to get the bank back down in it's slot. I'll have a look at the schematic again, but I thought for sure each horizontal row had it's own relay. That's why I was honed in on the 3rd row relay.

I guess another question is, how does everyone actually adjust those switches? Just with the switch adjuster and leaving everything together? Or is there an easy way to remove one entire relay?

-Pat

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

The 3rd row isn't actually stuck "on". If I am on the 1st row, all lights are out at the start of the game. When I roll over one of the rollovers at the top (let's say the 1) it will light the 1 in the 1st row, but also light the one in the 3rd row. This continues until I complete the 1st row, then when it resets for the second row, it also resets the lights in the 3rd row, and it starts all over again.

That's very different. In that case the 2S switch in the schematic above is likely stuck closed or shorted. That would allow the 3rd row lights to mimic the other rows when the switches on the 1-4 relays close.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

That's very different. In that case the 2S switch in the schematic above is likely stuck closed or shorted. That would allow the 3rd row lights to mimic the other rows when the switches on the 1-4 relays close.

I'll check that one out, slate-white on the 2s relay. I have the ball count unit apart for a game over issue, once I fix that and get it back installed, I'll take out the playfield and take a look. TY! I guess it would be better, in this case, to only fix what is broken at this point.

#8 1 year ago

The issue has seemed to fix itself. So that tells me, I really need to clean and adjust those switches. lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-4-square-mangle-trip-bank-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.