Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ball 1 Ball Count Unit (resized).jpg
Zero position Ball Count (resized).jpg
missing sticker (resized).jpg
Replay Button Portion Schematic (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I tried searching for this on the net, but all of the schematics I've seen are different. I've pieced together what I think is the correct troubleshooting method, but I am stumped now.

Symptom: Pushing replay button with credits on the game will not start a game. It only seems to work about 1 out of 10 times.

Replay Button Portion Schematic (resized).jpgReplay Button Portion Schematic (resized).jpg

I am using the circuit highlighted in Red. Here are all the things I've done:

When jumpering from Red-white on the fuse holder to orange on the replay button, the game does not start when pushing the replay button.
When jumpering from brown on the replay button to (it's slate for some reason, hate these gottlieb wire colors, but I'll call it orange white) the power side of the coil, the credit button started a game 10 out of 10 times.
(I understand using a multimeter isn't the greatest troubleshooting option, but I thought it was ok for switches?)
When measuring continuity from Brown to Slate-Green on the W relay, there is continuity when power is off.
(I have closed the replay unit switch to simulate free play) When checking continuity from slate-green to yellow green on the replay unit zero position switch, there is continuity.
I then cleaned and adjusted the switch on the tilt relay, and when closing that switch from yellow-green to orange-white (remember it's slate again), there is continuity.
After all of that, when depressing the credit button, it will not start a game.

Questions are:
Have I diagnosed the correct circuit? (I can't find the 1st and 2nd chute adjustment anywhere on the game)
Did I miss anything on this circuit?
If this is not the right circuit, what is, and what did I miss?

-Pat

#2 1 year ago

You're on the right track.

Quoted from PinFixin:

If this is not the right circuit, what is, and what did I miss?

What happens if you jumper across the Zero Position switch on the Ball Count Unit?

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

The slate+GR , Yel+GR , & the OR-WH wires all either enter in or return from the backbox. Which means that backbox jones plugs need to be inspected for loose wire connections and clean pin connections for the three wires mentioned.

#4 1 year ago

Thank you guys. I am onto something. I believe I was looking at the wrong switch for the "zero position replay unit". I was looking at the outside switch instead of the middle one.

Is this the correct sticker for the replay unit?

missing sticker (resized).jpgmissing sticker (resized).jpg

And if it is, is the "second switch" the zero position replay unit switch?

#5 1 year ago

Yes the 2nd switch is the zero position switch. Match wire colors to the switch. Jumper switch for free play.

#6 1 year ago

That's the problem then. I took out the headboard to get a good look at it.

I had the 3rd switch closed for free play. A buddy helped me out with this when I first got it several years ago, and I never looked at what he did. Coming back to it, I actually forgot which one was jumpered closed, so I have no idea what was going on with that switch. But I bet you that's it.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow morning and put the headboard back in.

#7 1 year ago

When setting the middle switch to free play, and adjusting the 3rd switch correctly it did not resolve the issue, however I may be onto another clue.

I put the game back together, turned it on (it was in tilt mode) and pushing the credit button (on zero credits) started a game. I finished the game, went into game over, tried starting a second one and nothing.

So I'm beginning to wonder if when the tilt relay is tripped, it works fine, if it is not, then it doesn't. But I'll have more info later on today. I'll also take a look at the ball count zero position switch.

-Pat

#8 1 year ago

I'm trying to rest my back, so I go in the pinball room and do a little at a time. I still have the bottom board in the game.

I believe I have found the right switch. There aren't wire colors for this switch on the schematic that I can read easily, so by deduction: On the other side of slate-green on the zero position replay unit switch, the wire color is green-yellow. This switch on the ball count unit is green-yellow, and on the other side slate which goes to the start relay. I >>assume<< how the circuit works for this switch is when the ball count unit is fully reset (zero position) the switch is open, cutting power to the relay. When the ball count unit steps up to ball 1,2,3,4 or 5, the switch is closed thus providing power to the start relay, if every other switch in the circuit is doing it's thing when the replay button is pressed?

Zero position:

Zero position Ball Count (resized).jpgZero position Ball Count (resized).jpg

Ball 1 position: That does not look like it's closed to me. I'll jumper it and see what happens.

Ball 1 Ball Count Unit (resized).jpgBall 1 Ball Count Unit (resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago

Ya pretty sure that was it, the zero position ball count unit switch. Started a game 5/5, on zero credits, and pushing the replay button. Amazing I missed that, especially after I had the unit out of the game cleaning it, lol.

Thank you guys!

-Pat

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-4-square-credit-button-won-t-start-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.