You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deps520-5000-00.jpg
photo.JPG
photo.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I have a dataeast robocop. The fuse that runs the displays was blown when I replaced it I got an arc on the power supply board.I thought it was a bad display board I disconnected it and tried it again and it still arced anyone have an idea??? new pic photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Can we get a pic of the area that you saw the arc in?

You should be more specific on you thread title, it will help with traffic.

TECH: Data East power supply board arcing.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from will:

when I replaced it I got an arc on the power supply board

When you replaced it or after you replaced it and turned the game on?

Did you replace the fuse with the game on?

Also the large power capacitors hold a charge even after the game is turned off and could cause the fuse to arc if not discharged first.

Suggest you do a seperate post on the plastics in the the Market Place sub-forum.

#4 11 years ago

not the greatest pic but i had to do it quick i didn't want to burn out the whole power supply.I replaced the fuse with the machine off then turned it on the fuse is not what is arcing its to the left of the fuse.
thanks for the tip on the market place

#5 11 years ago

We need a nice clear well lit close up of that area with the machine off to tell what it is. Is there any soot or visible burn marks? Any evidence of damage of any kind?

#6 11 years ago

I added a new pic

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

We need a nice clear well lit close up of that area with the machine off to tell what it is. Is there any soot or visible burn marks? Any evidence of damage of any kind?

Yeah - tough to see with the pic he's uploaded.

What fuse did you replace F3 with? It needs to be a 1/4 (0.25) amp slo blo. Bigger is not better here. If you put in a bigger fuse that may have caused the arcing in combination with a failed diode.

If that fuse was blown the first thing I would suspect are the 1N4004 diodes at D5 and D7. You can get them at RS. I would also disconnect the connector to the displays at CN5 until you are no longer blowing fuses, arcing and test correctly for +100v on CN5 pin 4 and -100v on CN5 pin 3. You could also have a shorted display causing you a problem as well but you have to get the PS working correctly first. You may have also damaged the ground plane with the arcing to the point where the board will no longer work correctly. Hard to see from the photo but it doesn't look good.

viperrwk

#8 11 years ago

Something is likely shorted on the board. It sounds like you did not put a S.B. 1/4 A fuse in there, otherwise, it would have blown way before that arcing occurred.

If I had to blindly guess without having the board in front of me to test, you likely have a shorted component like a transistor, resistor, or diode. Test all resistors,transistors and diodes in the circuit that arced and you should be able to find the failed component(s).

#9 11 years ago

Something is likely shorted on the board. It sounds like you did not put a F.B. 1/4 A fuse in there, otherwise, it would have blown way before that arcing occurred.
If I had to blindly guess without having the board in from of me to test, you likely have a shorted component like a transistor, resistor, or diode. Test all resistors,transistors and diodes in the circuit that arced and you should be able to find the failed component(s).

Schematic calls for SB but I agree with you - probably wrong fuse value.

viperrwk

deps520-5000-00.jpgdeps520-5000-00.jpg

#10 11 years ago

you guys are right I had a 1/2 amp slo blo fuse in their i will get the right fuse and check thanks

#11 11 years ago

I have seen electrolytic caps leak and the substance that leaks is conductive. It will arc.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.