image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

What do you recommend for cleaning off greasy metal parts?

I use 100% isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud, followed by a clean cotton bud to pick up the remaining residue.

While I'm not sure if it'd cause damage, I would not get it anywhere near the inks on anything.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Those grommets are unobtainium as far as I'm aware. I haven't been able to track down a substitute where I live either.

:PBR has them

#53 6 years ago

This is a spring hook set which hoov alerted me to sometime ago (US supplier). I have found all of the components really useful & helpful.

ebay.com link: Pro Tech Micro Spring Hook Set 5 PC

#54 6 years ago

I put up a youtube video a few years about this. If you reassemble in the in the right order, you really need no special tools. In fact, you can probably get away with just using your fingers. Small screwdriver at most.

#55 6 years ago

Awesome. Last time I asked Steve said they were custom made and didn't have them. That was obviously a while ago as I just found this little note in the PBR news section from 2015 though:

The story of GTB-986.

Once upon a time, when Gottlieb® first introduced drop targets, they used a funny "abbreviated" plug bumper for the trigger arms to reset against. The design was okay but over time the rubber got a groove worn into it, then fell out or was lost and the arm then reset too high. This caused the bottom of the drop targets to be over-stressed and then the lip broke off and the targets reset against the bottom of the playfield glass and would not drop correctly. We never found the source of the bumpers, cost to make a mold too high, etc., etc.

Fast forward to 2015 and one of our customers, Larry Dale in Washington state (obviously a person with too much time on his hands!) got curious, did some research and came upon several candidates. He was good enough to forward that information to me. I researched the leads and ordered samples, and bingo! we found the correct original bumper.

I have ordered stock, it has arrived. It is stocked here as GTB-986 and is priced at 0.30 each.

(happy) end of story.

Steve

I've corrected my previous post.

#56 6 years ago

Time to go over the switches:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Drop target switches are not too bad:

These could be better - they see more action after target is down:

#57 6 years ago

For cleaning switch contacts I'm using here a Dremel with #443 wire brush as seen in Nic's great tour thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games

He is a proponent of:

1. Wipe switches with alchohol swab
2. Polish switches shiny with Dremel
3. Wipe again with alchohol swab

I've seen 91% isopropyl alchohol recommended but I'm using 99% (that's what I found online). I spray a bit into cap and then dip cotton swabs into it.

#58 6 years ago

Bend the switch blade back a bit, then, for each switch contact, alchohol swab, polish and swab again - see how all oxidation and carbon is removed from the contact. Works great. Remember goggles since it's possible that loose wires could fly off - I use the slowest setting on my Dremel.

Before:

After:

#59 6 years ago

Finally, I alchohol-swabbed the rest of the switch leaves to shine them up and used a switch adjuster to straighten bent ones.

#60 6 years ago

The smoother the movement of plungers within solenoid sleeves the better. To that end, time to polish smooth the reset arm plungers.

Anyone could argue that this is going too far and maybe they'd be right, but I have the target assembly apart and it only takes a few minutes to do this so I argue why not do it 100%?

Here is the reset arm before polishing along with the 600 grit sand paper sheet from which I cut out a small piece.

#61 6 years ago

After sanding rotationally as well as along length of plunger, I then polish with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish which is recommended by many here on Pinside including "grand-tour Nic".

Zoom into the pics to see what a big difference this makes going from pocked and uneven to mirror-smooth.

Second pic is before, third pic is after sanding and last pic after polishing. There is a large difference in feel after polishing - very smooth.

#62 6 years ago

And more Mothers to polish the shaft.

2 weeks later
#63 6 years ago

==========================

Parts I needed arrived so time to rebuild...

I ground off the peened-on factory coil stop using my Dremel on high speed - quick and easy. Wear safety glasses and put bracket in a vice so you have both hands free to hold the Dremel.

#64 6 years ago

Coil assemblies to be rebuilt using new 2.5" sleeves and coil stops.

#65 6 years ago

Parts to assemble:

Important: Press firmly on both sides of coil to remove slop before tightening.

After assembly:

I may still have to adjust later but for now I tried to match original screw locations on the adjustment brackets below. Below are MikeO's important comments on these (thanks Mike) so I wouldn't have taken these off to begin with:

Quoted from MikeO:

Don't take the coil mounting bracket off of the main frame. It is factory set for the plunger to correctly bottom out to the coil stop. Once you take it off you will have to make an adjustment that is not totally obvious to get it back correctly.

Quoted from MikeO:

Your goal is to have the plunger bottom out just as the drop targets rise above the frame and catch on top of the frame. Adjust the coil too tall and the targets won't push up high enough to catch. Adjust the coil too low and you run the risk of breaking the stop tab off the bottom of the targets.
You should have some evidence of where the screws were positioned relative to the slotted holes to get them close to where they were to begin with.
Good luck.

#66 6 years ago

Next, I attached coil brackets to pivot plate using 4 screws:

Shot of parts to assemble at this point. In bag are new reset arm springs (A-13455) to replace old ones. These new springs have more tension so I'm happy I purchased new ones as they have a lot of work to do pushing the large reset arm.

Next I inserted the reset arm plungers into sleeves. I had previously considered disassembling the plungers from arm (just for learning exercise) but decided against it:

#67 6 years ago

One reset arm spring (A-13455) is placed as follows:

#68 6 years ago

Next push shaft through reset arm, bracket hole, spring. Then through one end of series bar oriented as in pic and further through first trigger.

Continue inserting triggers and push shaft through to end.

#69 6 years ago

Next insert another reset arm spring (A-13455) as shown and finishing pushing shaft all the way through.

Add clips to each end of shaft.

Yay, shaft assembly done

#70 6 years ago

Next step is to insert drop targets into the guide plate and attach springs. The new springs from PBR are in the bag (A-12178 in GTB parts manual but PBR has replacement part number A-18995).

However, these new springs (A-18995 on right) have larger radius and the tension on them is quite a bit less than original factory ones so I decided to stay with my original ones for this rebuild. But ultimately these springs serve the purpose of keeping each drop target pulled forward onto each drop's ledge when targets are up so having exact tension here might not be as important.

Insert springs the following way using spring tool or screwdriver to push end over each hook.

#71 6 years ago

Looking spiffy!

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Looking spiffy!

Thanks!

Next is to feed the triggers through the target slots like so:

#73 6 years ago

The 517 springs pull each drop target downward. I decided to get new ones from PBR and found that they were exact same size and felt like they had a bit more tension. My originals would probably have been fine but went for new ones anyway since they are cheap.

Im putting these onto the other guide plate that has the reset arm adjust screws on it (which I didn't remove so still set at factory).

I found it easy to put the springs in each hole using pliers:

All springs inserted.

#74 6 years ago

Next, feed drop targets through this guide plate and loosely and then tighten two screws on opposite side (not shown) to hold it in place.

But ensure that reset arm is above reset arm adjust screws (at top of pick).

#75 6 years ago

Bottom guide plate is loose as I find it easier to attack springs onto remaining hooks.

Next, attach all target springs to trigger hooks - I found my hemostat perfect for this.

#76 6 years ago

And hemostat again for down springs made it easy. Now all springs should be attached.

#77 6 years ago

In my tenure in the pinball hobby springs are at the bottom of the list of parts that need changing in an EM pinball machine no matter where applied in the game unless clearly damaged or missing.

Good tutorial.

#78 6 years ago

Next, flip over and attach two brackets as well as series switch for sensing when all drop targets are dropped.

#79 6 years ago

Next insert new rubber grommets (#986) into switch plate.

#80 6 years ago

Screw switch plate onto assembly (4 screws, 2 brackets).

#81 6 years ago

Finally, screw on switches and assembly is complete yay!

#82 6 years ago

Well done. It looks really good.

A bit too good - you've made my efforts look very lazy.

#83 6 years ago

That's almost too nice to play now, Andy.

Notice I said almost.

#84 6 years ago

Thanks guys!

Oh I'll be playing it for sure - can't wait to bash those new targets!

#85 6 years ago

Since the reset arm was washed, I thought it best to put some synthetic grease back inside the plunger linkages - I used a toothpick and then wiped off the excess.

#86 6 years ago

As MikeO mentioned above, it's important that the targets just barely reset when plungers hit their coil stops. Tested that here and it was perfect so no adjustments were needed to coil brackets yay!

So here it is, a 1974 Gottlieb Sky Jump target assembly in all its shiny glory

#87 6 years ago

Now back under the playfield with 4 screws followed by soldering wires, double-checking with original pics taken. I wear safety glasses and always put a towel below areas I solder to catch any solder that might drop onto other components.

Almost forgot this one:

#88 6 years ago

New drop targets ready to bash!

#89 6 years ago

You should have had all the metal chromed since you already had it apart.

#90 6 years ago

What's the go with your red pop?

#91 6 years ago

Those assemblies are a blast to disassemble.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

What's the go with your red pop?

In the middle of rebuilding pops.

#93 6 years ago

Very good work, that bank of drop targets looks so much better now especially without the horse! That's a very nice looking playfield too!

FYI, next time you need chemicals, you can actually get a lot of your supplies locally. 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol, solder etc...you can get from MRO Electronics (10512 178 St NW Edmonton AB). You can get VM&P Naptha from Sherwin Williams. And if you ever take on airbrushing or even 2PAC clearcoating (with SprayMax 2K) Maple Airbrush Supplies (also here in Edmonton) is a very good start.
Keep up the good work, looks great!

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Very good work, that bank of drop targets looks so much better now especially without the horse! That's a very nice looking playfield too!
FYI, next time you need chemicals, you can actually get a lot of your supplies locally. 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol, solder etc...you can get from MRO Electronics (10512 178 St NW Edmonton AB). You can get VM&P Naptha from Sherwin Williams. And if you ever take on airbrushing or even 2PAC clearcoating (with SprayMax 2K) Maple Airbrush Supplies (also here in Edmonton) is a very good start.
Keep up the good work, looks great!

Thanks for your comments and info - much appreciated!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-gtb-sky-jump-drop-target-teardown-rebuild/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.