image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajfclark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Of course, as always, your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I think one of the most important parts of the page you linked should be highlighted:

WARNING. This shoulder bolt has a nut on the back side. If this nut is not removed, and a big screwdriver is put on the shoulder bolt to turn it, the shoulder bolt will shear. This renders the shoulder bolt useless. If this happens nothing short of ordering a new shoulder bolt from Pinball Resource (part# a1059) will fix the problem. So the moral of this story is to first remove the nut from the shoulder bolt before removing/adjusting this bolt. (And even then during nut removal sometimes the shoulder bolt still shears.)

Before disassembling the whole unit, I would loosen that shoulder bolt, clean the pivot point (http://www.pinrepair.com/em/gtbcred1.jpg), etc and make sure the lever moves freely. I've found a lot of steppers that were completely non-functional only needed a bit of care at that one point.

#12 6 years ago

If you are stuck for a replacement, in the past I have machined down a case screw from a PC using a drill and a file. Not pretty, but did the job.

20pcs-Desktop-Computer-PC-Case-Thumbscrews-Thumb-Screw-6-32-Black-Metal (resized).jpg20pcs-Desktop-Computer-PC-Case-Thumbscrews-Thumb-Screw-6-32-Black-Metal (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago

You're not the first, and won't be the last. You may also have found it sheered off anyway. I'm sitting at 50/50 over 2 machines on that nut sheering the bolt.

Here's a pic of the quick replacement I made from an old PC case thumb screw:
16123238_268544953558420_436900583203405824_n (resized).jpg16123238_268544953558420_436900583203405824_n (resized).jpg
The shoulder was marginally too big so I put it in the drill chuck and filed it down a bit.

2 months later
#51 6 years ago

Whilst slightly overkill, this thing is going to end up better than new. No grease to go hard and gum things up for a start.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Question: does anyone know where one can buy the black fabric wrap that covers flexible wires seen above? (PBR does not sell)

It's just cotton isn't it? Could you use a round shoe lace? Otherwise I'd be looking for spaghetti insulation like this maybe? https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/spaghetti-old-style-white-20-awg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajfclark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-gtb-sky-jump-ball-count-unit-stepper-teardown-rebuild?tu=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.