• 4 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PinFixin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I needed some troubleshooting help with the Game Over relay on a Solar Ride.

The game over relay never energizes. This game has the Boston Pinball Company driver board, original system 1 MPU, and original power supply. Here is what I've done to troubleshoot:

When applying +5 volts to pin 2 of the Z1 chip on the driver board, nothing happens. When applying it to pin 7 it does energize the tilt relay (not related to the testing of pin 2, but just wanted to make sure this testing method would give results with the BPC driver board).
    When checking continuity with J5 hooked up, I get continuity from the collector of Q1 through the connector, and to the coil lug.
    When checking for voltages at the coil lug, I get 12-13v at each coil (but they all work) however at the coil lug on the game over relay from the driver board I get 9 volts.
    When testing the driver board transistor in circuit, it tests exactly the same as all the other Q1-Q4 transistors (these are newer style transistors MJE802) and does test good in circuit.
    I've tried 2 different mpus and they both do the same thing.

It's weird that I only measure 12-13v at each coil but they all work. Could this be a sign of a failing bridge? I always thought they either worked or did not.
And does anyone have any feedback on where to go from here?

-Pat

#2 7 years ago

Well, I made a mistake and was using the ground from the side rails. When attaching ground to the ground plane in the bottom of the game, I was still getting a voltage way too high, ~30volts.

I'm having the game brought to my house to take a look at it a little closer.

-Pat

1 week later
#3 7 years ago

The game is at my house, and the coil on the Game Over Relay is bad. It reads infinite resistance. I guess it got so corroded that the winding broke off. This should resolve the issue, I'm hoping.

Gottlieb A-16890

-Pat

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

Well, it was the relay coil. What a mess. Coil was replaced and game worked perfectly. In fact, in 3 games of test, I got the special twice! Haha, have never done that well before.

-Pat

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-gottlieb-solar-ride-ss-no-game-over-relay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.