(Topic ID: 259243)

Tech: Gottlieb Genie System 1 three coils locking on power up.

By action76

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F7E812ED-5476-4DAE-BB73-3317EF72A92C (resized).png
65f61b27178f57ef3017738958b2763b29751070 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider action76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've got an issue with a Gottlieb Genie. Every time the machine is powered on, three solenoids (that I know of) immediately lock on. The saucer outhole kicker, ball trough kickout and knocker solenoids are the three that are locked on (unless a relay coil or one that is not easily seen is also locked). All transistors tested good but I replaced them anyway. Also, the interconnect harness is new. If I disconnect it from the driver board, the coils do not lock or fire at all. The only other culprit that I can think it might be is one of the "spider chips" on the main MPU board. Is this a possible cause of this behavior or is there another possibility I should look into? This behavior was not happening but started all of a sudden while I was shopping it out and doing some restoring on the machine. That's why I was hoping it was something simple that happened and not the MPU board crapping out on me. Any suggestions or things to check would be greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

Calling all system 1 gurus! I would like to get this up and running before the State tournament on the 18th if at all possible. I don't want to buy a $250 board if it is something I can fix or if it is something else altogether. Help!

#4 4 years ago

Genie is one of the system 1 games that does not have any under the PF transistors. I do have a logic probe if you can help guide me on what to test. If this helps, with the 25 volts disconnected from the transformer, the MPU plays and scores perfectly fine. Sounds play, switches score, displays all work, just no coils of course.

#8 4 years ago

Ok, here is some more information so maybe it will help pinpoint the problem. According to Clay's guides, a bad U4 could cause coils to lock on. I figured nothing else had worked and I had a donor board, so I replaced U4 with the one from the donor. No change It exhibited the exact same behavior as before. So now I assume, unless the U4 chip from the other board was bad in the exact same way as the other one, the problem is somewhere else. But where? This is driving me nuts. I can only think maybe some kind of grounding issue but if three of the CPU controlled coils are locked because of that, wouldn't all of the CPU controlled coils be locked on? Where should I check the ground to test this theory? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the help so far.

#10 4 years ago

Yes the it has the ground mods. The problem occurred all of a sudden a while back and I just now got back around to working on it. Yes I did test the coils and diodes and they seem to all be within spec.

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

Just a quick update. I ended up getting a Ni-Wumpf board like Pinmike suggested and it corrected the locking coils. Both U4 chips that I had must have been bad or either it was something else that I could not find. Thanks Pinmike and Northvibe for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider action76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-gottlieb-genie-system-1-three-coils-locking-on-power-up?tu=action76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.