(Topic ID: 228213)

Gorgar - F2 Solenoid fuse blowing on power up - FIXED!

By Barakawins1

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

driver board (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Working on a really nice Gorgar. The F2 2 1/2 amp Solenoid fuse blows on power up. The trough solenoid kicks the ball into the trough and the fuse blows. Things I tried so far include:

-Change fuse
-Change solenoid bride rectifier
-Replaced mpu header pins
-Re-flowed driver board pins
-Checked all mpu transistors
-special solenoid IC's checked out of circuit.

Everything checks out fine. I'm a little stumped now. Any ideas on what else to check? Does anyone know which transistor controls the ball trough solenoid? This shoudn't kick when turning the game on.

#2 5 years ago

I would say start with taking the screws out of the driver board and gently pull it free of the CPU, then push it back on the pins and reinstall the screws.

If no change, unsolder the "low" line to the trough eject/release coil, replace fuse, and power up for ONE SECOND, listening for any other solenoids kicking at power up then quickly off.

Q15 is the driver for coil 01, Ball Release

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the info. Will check out Q15 tomorrow.

#4 5 years ago

I have a funny feeling the mpu is locked. Even of the 2.5amp fuses is blown, I should get attract mode and the led's on the board should run correct?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Even of the 2.5amp fuses is blown, I should get attract mode and the led's on the board should run correct?

Yup, should still get attract mode anyway.

#6 5 years ago

OK so I have to get passed this lock up. Will do that first. Maybe that's what's causing my ball trough solenoid to engage and blow the fuse.

#7 5 years ago

The issue was a bad 6821PIA which drives the solenoids on the driver board. Symptom was the F2 2 & 1/2 amp fuse would blow on power up and the
ball trough would eject the ball immediately. Check all driver transistors and pre-drivers with a meter first to ensure they are ok. If ok, your culprit is the
6821 circled in the attached photo. Hope this helps someone.

driver board (resized).pngdriver board (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-gorgar-f2-solenoid-fuse-blowing-on-power-up?hl=smp14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.