• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheFamilyArcade
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Fixed...see details in later posts.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Just wrapping up an all day session cleaning up my GnR for a little party tomorrow. Replaced a couple broken targets, converted all bulbs to LEDs outside of the ones that are stapled in (what a stupid thing). Vacuumed out the game, vacuuming the wire harnesses on the floor of the game as well.

With the machine on, I drop a nut driver and it hits the ball launch Wireform near the top rollover lanes. I'd just finished replacing the bulbs here. This doesn't strike me as something that would trigger what happens next...unless this is the mother of all shorts.

All of a sudden the game starts wigging out...starts repeating, over and over, the "you're in the jungle baby" part of the song, but stuttering, not finishing the phrase except for every once in awhile...and then starting over with the stuttering. The GI blinks on and off, with a clicking in the back box. The insert lighting cycles on and off. The dot matrix flashes "free play". The "guitar feature" kick out hole fires over and over, every three seconds or so.

Hitting the coin door voltage cut does nothing. I can't get the game to go into diagnostics. I've looked under the game for loose wires, something pressed together that shouldn't be...I've reseated random connectors in the area of the guitar kick out. Done same in back box...nothing makes it stop except turning the game off. Upon turning the game on, same thing. Although, strangely, it always thinks balls (all six, four, that I've seen) are missing, although all 6 balls are in the trough.

Anyone have any ideas here? I hate the idea that GnR will be down for tomorrow nights party.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 4 years ago

bump. really looking for help here. thanks.

#3 4 years ago

I don't have a whole lot of help for you, but I think anyone who takes pride in how their games play have been there.

My best advice.... When you do some work to a pin, and it doesn't work right after, it's probably something related.

Go back to what you did, retrace your steps, look at everything every carefully. Plugs, wires, loose solder that dripped, lift the play field up and down, see if a screw fell and is shorting something.

To me, it sounds like a power issue. Maybe check your fuses? Maybe you shorted something and blew a fuse. Check your voltages.

#4 4 years ago

Your suggestions are sound. I've never seen a machine do anything like this before, so I'm a little stretched. everything was fine, then craziness.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

.unless this is the mother of all shorts

To the switch matrix on the mpu at least. Sorry.

LTG : (

#6 4 years ago

I just fixed a similar problem with my Tftc.Try checking the transistors Q48 to Q55 on the mpu above cn8.It does sound like an issue with the switch matrix.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

To the switch matrix on the mpu at least. Sorry.
LTG : (

Quoted from alpha70:

I just fixed a similar problem with my Tftc.Try checking the transistors Q48 to Q55 on the mpu above cn8.It does sound like an issue with the switch matrix.

Sounds bad (?). Is this replacing transistors or replacing a board? And from a short of some kind?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Is this replacing transistors or replacing a board?

No idea what went. You need a good board repair person to go over it.

LTG : )™

#9 4 years ago

Thanks guys. So this isn't a switch gone haywire or a fuse, this is the board acting up?

If I had a replacement board would it be safe to put it in, or could the same thing "blow" the newer board too.

Wish I had more experience. So many questions. It was like day and night. Game works perfect. I switch out done bulbs and blamo. But I guess that's pinball huh?

#10 4 years ago

Based on this alone, no one can tell you that it's definitely a board problem. Though it does sounds like one. But someone will need to spend some time doing some diagnosis. Have you tried removing he switch row and column connectors from the board and powering up with them removed?

#11 4 years ago

Going to get deeper into it today. Thanks for the suggestion Markmon. Im not very handy and I find the older game manuals to be a little more confusing, for locating things etc., so this may be a slow process.

#12 4 years ago

I would still check the simple stuff like fuses and connectors, don't just assume its a board problem. Retrace your steps from what you did, could be a pinched wire or switch.
Good luck!!

#13 4 years ago

Success!!! GNR is UP! Thanks folks! My buddy MBT talked me off the ledge and texted me help from Pittsburgh. His advice mimicked a lot of what was said here.

Simple first!

Looked under the playfield where the lighting wiring is extremely dense (upper rollovers and DUFF letters). Very careful and close inspection revealed one of the sockets of one light jammed against the diode of another light. I separated them, fired up the game and It worked!! So I figured, let's replace that one LED up top that sticks or like a sore thumb! I fix it with the game off...turn on the game, looks good...flippers are dead and so is the auto launch. Cool test reveals about half the coils won't fire. Half will. I panic, throw shit, drop an f-bomb or four and after 30 minutes of looking under he playfield again, give up.

Text MBT after an hour or so and he says "probably a fuse or two". He bet that they got stressed and blew when the game was freaking out originally. He was right. Replaced about 6 fuses, some obviously burnt some not, but it took more than the first two that did get the flippers and let side kick out working.

Very happy. 2 hours until party and now all machines are working. What a relief!

Btw: all you GNR guys that want to buy a killer one come tax time, I'll probably be listing mine.

#14 4 years ago

Sweet....Glad you were able to get it going again. Thanks for posting and letting us all know the results, it will probably help another Pinhead someday. Have a great party.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Sweet....Glad you were able to get it going again. Thanks for posting and letting us all know the results, it will probably help another Pinhead someday. Have a great party.

Update: I don't know anything about voltages, and what impacts what, but replacing the fuses also seems to make the associated coils fire harder, so better in this case. Pops seem more active, auto shooter now makes the rollover lanes practically every time (an issue on some GnRs), kick back is stronger (kicking to pops instead of Axel hole) and flippers seem to have moe oomph. I can combo the ramps like crazy now.

With this and the look of the new LEDs, the game just plays like a champ. Put up 4B and had a nice RIOT mode last night. My new high score, after a couple months of play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Cinnaminson, NJ
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside