(Topic ID: 25985)

TECH: Game keeps loading balls over and over again on STTNG ...

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tonyf1965
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

When I turn the game on, it loads a ball, and then spits it back out the VUK. This cycle repeats over and over again. I'm guessing it's a dirty opto, but which one? I have some family coming over this evening, and I'd like to have the game back up and running by then. Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

The game wants to load a ball into each side of the subway. If the diverter underneath is broken the it can't get a ball into each of the three locations. I would start there. The symptom of that would be that it loads a ball, the diverter won't fire so the ball ends up behind another ball on the wrong area, game kicks it out and repeats. It could also be a subway switch but then it's less likely to keep kicking the same ball out in my opinion. But check those aswell.

#3 11 years ago

I checked out the diverter and it seemed to be functioning fine. In fact, the whole game is functioning fine now. Very odd.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

When I turn the game on, it loads a ball, and then spits it back out the VUK. This cycle repeats over and over again. I'm guessing it's a dirty opto, but which one? I have some family coming over this evening, and I'd like to have the game back up and running by then. Thanks!

I would bet it is an issue with the trough optos. I loose connection could be the culprit.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I would bet it is an issue with the trough optos. I loose connection could be the culprit.

I agree, loose connector, or if the connectors are still IDC a loose or broken wire. Have had weird phantom trough issues on mine due to that connector. Still need to replace some day.

#6 11 years ago

Sounds like a flaky opto somewhere...first thought would also be the ball trough.

Is it the original ball trough boards. If so they are pretty notorious for failing du to the vibration of the balls in the trough ( I think Williams used a new board for their widebodys at the time and they failed often enough).

There is a trick to minimize the vibration on the boards by lining the screw holes with a rubber ring acting a shock....but personally I would just buy new boards from Great Lakes Modular:
https://nestlepurelifedirect.com/pages/signin.aspx

Look for the williams widebody trough boards set.

If it's not the trough boards it likely is the optos on the underground subway...you have one going on and off which could be a bad opto solder or it just slowly dying. Harder to troubleshoot so just keep cheking those underground optos when it fails next.

But I would start with the ball trough.

#7 11 years ago

Try putting all 6 balls back into the playfield and into the trough and see if it correctly loads 3 or if it starts having problems again. I'm not convinced its just an opto, although it could be. I think trough opto symptom might be different than this.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Try putting all 6 balls back into the playfield and into the trough and see if it correctly loads 3 or if it starts having problems again. I'm not convinced its just an opto, although it could be. I think trough opto symptom might be different than this.

Yes start there, if it is not loading to the VUK's correctly something is wrong. Make sure you check/test the subway diverter action in coil test, make sure it is firing. Go through the optos, go into test mode and let it sit for a few minutes and see if any go off on their own. Then run balls into the trough one at a time and watch the switches trigger, once loaded wait another minute or two and see if any of those go off on their own. All optos have to be working correctly for STTNG or it can do wacky things. Clean them all anyways next time you have the PF up.

#9 11 years ago

When this happened to me, I had a blown fuse that controlled the top diverter in the subway.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Is it the original ball trough boards?

No. I replaced the original trough opto boards with two new GLM boards about a year ago.

9 years later
#11 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. As that is what mines doing now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 85.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 63.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-game-keeps-loading-balls-over-and-over-again-on-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.