Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Newbie979
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm having a problem with the boiler door on my Gottlieb Freddy. The boiler door is working sporadically throughout the course of a game. It basically starts going up and down at various times, and it does not seem to be caused by any one particular switch on the playfield. Every other switch & lamp/flasher appears to be working correctly during gameplay except for the Boiler Door which is not continually going up & down when it is supposed to.

One problem I was having prior to this was that the 2 flasher bulbs that light inside Freddy's head were staying locked on, so I removed the bulbs & disconnected the connector for them under the playfield. After this, I double-checked all fuses, removing each fuse & testing it to make sure that they were all still good.

The machine had a new Rottendog driver board installed after this incident happened.

I have already put the game into "Self Test" mode & gone through each test individually (Lamp/Flasher Test, Switch Test, Switch Matrix Test) to make sure that only 1 switch and/or 1 lamp/flasher is activated for each individual test.

The Boiler Door's switches & motor underneath the playfield work correctly in test mode. I even adjusted both switches actuators to make sure that the switches are being contacted by the motor. Also, the optos on the Boiler Door entrance work correctly in test mode & are activated correctly during gameplay.

Has anybody ever had a problem similar to this?

Can anybody tell me what I should try next?

Thanks for your help!

#2 11 years ago

So it doesn't get stuck in the up or down position, but rather you are trying to figure out why it activates the up/down motion during certain times in gameplay? What specifically is making you think it's activating when it's not supposed to be?

#3 11 years ago

I have noticed with mine, the nut on the arm that lifts it tends to loosen after play. This will allow the door to gradually come out of alignment (ie not fully up) there is a switch that tells the machine if it is up/down, but often the door is somewhere in the middle and it never really knows where the door it.

This causes the door to sometimes constantly move, or get stuck up from time to time.

Pull out that PF and make sure your arm is in the right position and tightened real well.

#4 11 years ago

I have shopped several of these over the years and the most common problem is the door switches not being activated or recognized (the mechanical ones activated by the motor). Second problem is the door optos. Many times there are cold solder joints on the optos - have you tired reflowing them? John

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I solved the problem. All I did was re-seat the connectors for each of the two Boiler Door motor switches underneath the playfield, and everything seems to be working fine so far. It's pretty crazy that that's all it took, and I can't believe I didn't think to try it earlier. That's pinball. Thanks again for the suggestions. This repair has been brought to you by Hank's Pinball Repair Tips:

4 years later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I solved the problem. All I did was re-seat the connectors for each of the two Boiler Door motor switches underneath the playfield, and everything seems to be working fine so far. It's pretty crazy that that's all it took, and I can't believe I didn't think to try it earlier. That's pinball. Thanks again for the suggestions. This repair has been brought to you by Hank's Pinball Repair Tips:
» YouTube video

How do you reset them I’m new to pinball world and having the same problem with door not going all the way up making it stuck half way thru game play

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from skristof:

I have noticed with mine, the nut on the arm that lifts it tends to loosen after play. This will allow the door to gradually come out of alignment (ie not fully up) there is a switch that tells the machine if it is up/down, but often the door is somewhere in the middle and it never really knows where the door it.

This causes the door to sometimes constantly move, or get stuck up from time to time.
Pull out that PF and make sure your arm is in the right position and tightened real well.

How do you know if the arm is in the right position? Having the same issue

3 weeks later
#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Newbie979:

How do you know if the arm is in the right position? Having the same issue

Anybody??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,400 (OBO)
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-freddy-boiler-door-not-working-all-of-the-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.