this post can be pulled down, it was resolved

By silver_spinner

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

thx, to bad it was not as advertised and had several issues but its all figured out the to the help of fellow pinsiders thx again

#3 7 years ago

It sounds like there is a jumper wire somewhere where it's not suppose to be.
If the flipper relay on the cpu works as is should be....

Be sure the fuse clips on the power supply are firm and making a good contact.
Fuse clips is the number two issue with Data East boards.
Connector header pins is number one.
Caps number three.

There is a nice Tech Chart on my website.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Data_East_Torpedo_Alley_Tech_Chart.pdf
Sometime soon I'll also add board specific schematics in the Data East section.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

1 week later
#4 7 years ago

Update:
i installed a new board.
same exact issues above exist

#5 7 years ago

I stay with my first statement. There has to be some other connection that isn’t suppose to be there.

#6 7 years ago

i just don't see one. i wonder where in the heck it would be? the flippers and wires are the same as the time machine next to it.

to confirm: both relays replaced on ppb and main cpu. prob still exists. you can hear the relay click properly on both. also, yesterday i installed a brand new cpu to see if any probs would go away. all probs still exist. i also replaced the vuk switch. what is happening with the vuk, it will work many times, then suddenly ball goes into vuk and it sits there. you can hear a faint noise likes its trying to kick the ball. its a very small hum and pulse, but it doesn't even pulse enough to raise the vuk kicker at all. if i keep pressing switch over and over it hums, hums, hums, then suddenly a huge kick and it finally activates. each time it hums i can also hear the ppb relay click. ive redid almost every connector associated with switches and coils as well. cn10 on cpu, cn8 on cpu, cn11 on cpu, cn19 on cpu, j2 ppb board, j1 ppb board. all new housing and pins

#7 7 years ago

Did you also check for bad solder joints on the back of all the boards?
Did you check the Power Supply board?
Bad ground connection can do this too.

For the flippers.....
If you disconnect CPU connector CN19, do the flippers still work?
Which colors are connected to pin 1 and 2?
They should be ORN-VIO at pin 1 and ORN-GRY at pin 2.
The rest of this connector should be blue wires with a color.

#8 7 years ago

wires at c19 are correct. all boards have been reflowed already.

if I unplug c19 left flipper still works all the time, rt flipper does not.

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you also check for bad solder joints on the back of all the boards?
Did you check the Power Supply board?
Bad ground connection can do this too.
For the flippers.....
If you disconnect CPU connector CN19, do the flippers still work?
Which colors are connected to pin 1 and 2?
They should be ORN-VIO at pin 1 and ORN-GRY at pin 2.
The rest of this connector should be blue wires with a color.

#9 7 years ago

Now I know for sure. There has to be some kind of ground connection under the Playfield. CN19 is the ground connection for the flippers. With the connector disconnected the flippers should not work.

#10 7 years ago

FIXED:
thx, you were 100% correct. i missed it because there was a little jumper coming from left flipper switch to ground braid. it was hidden. i thought it was the wire to switch the lanes up top because it was the same color so i ignored it initially. some previous owner must have did that when their flipper cpu relay didnt work.

now to fix that VUK
thx so much!

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Now I know for sure. There has to be some kind of ground connection under the Playfield. CN19 is the ground connection for the flippers. With the connector disconnected the flippers should not work.

#11 7 years ago

Glad you found that wrong wire!

What is the coil test number for the VUK?
Then I know exactly which one you are talking about.
I'm thinking Side r 3....

#13 7 years ago

when it works its at full very strong power. ball will fall, in , eject bery strong. 4 or perfect ejects, then ball falls in it, it barely hums, ball dosn't even move, ball is stick. if i press on ball over and over making it hit the switch over and over. it will finally kick out very hard. its not the switch though. the switch makes the closed noise every time, even when ball is stuck. also, when that kicker acts up, the ball wont kick out when game is powered up, during ball search or in coil test.

#14 7 years ago

i figured it out now. the little spring that sits between top of coil and the cup the ball lands in was missing so the cup would barely get caught under the pf wood sometimes. i figured it out during a coil test by spinning the cup a lil each time between pulses. wow. so grabbed a spring and it bounces properly now.
thx again for helping me. it was bought off of here and supposed to be fully working.
it also had all 3 incorrect flipper assemblies installed not long according to the seller ago and none of them activated the eos switches properly. they were the dmd version of da rebuilds, not the ss versions. luckily i saw that before all coils were burned out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-flippers-always-on-torpedo-alley-vuk-issue-too and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.