• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by tomdotcom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I need help to find out this problem.

On my Scared Stiff, some flasher lamps keep blowing. I checked the fuses, all are ok. I installed 906 bulb has required.

What else to check?

#2 12 years ago

Flashers are run by Transistors you can locate those Transistors in the manual and test them with a multimeter.It sounds like the flasher or flashers have locked on due to shorted Transistors.

#3 12 years ago

I edited my post. I mean ''blowing'' not burning. The lamps flash two or three times and blow.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Holy_Pickle:

I edited my post. I mean ''blowing'' not burning. The lamps flash two or three times and blow.

Do they flash REALLY REALLY bright? That could indicate that they're getting 50v instead of 20v - I can't think of any plausible way for that to come about accidentally without trashing lots of other stuff - but at the same times, I can't think of any other explanation for flashers blowing that fast. Check the voltage on the bulbs (remember that you need to hold down the coin door switch to do this) - power supply should be +20v (give or take a few volts).

If it's getting the correct voltage... I don't know what to say..... I'd start to suspect crap bulbs, honestly. If it's got 20v on it, since there's no vaguely plausible way for the transistor to pull to below ground, then it's getting 20v put across it, and it should be behaving like flashers normally do. The bulbs are only rated at 13v (for automotive use), but pins drive them with 20v to get a decent flash.

Also, I assume you've confirmed that the bulbs really are burned out, and its not just a flakey socket that only works when you've just poked it?

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

Do they flash REALLY REALLY bright?

Yes, they flash really bright.

I could look stupid but i'm not able to check voltage because when i'm in test mode, the flash is so quick that my multimeter doesn't have the time to show the voltage. Is there another way to check the voltage elsewhere than on the flasher socket?

Someone told me that it could be the connector #J133 who can be reversed. I will check this tonight.

#6 12 years ago

Don't measure the voltage across the bulb while it's flashing. You know one side is going to be grounded, when it's on, so you can use any ground you want to measure the voltage it's getting. (flashers and coils always have the +50v or +20v on them, and are fired by grounding the other wire)

Measure between ground (the grounding strap stapled to the inside of the cabinet is the easiest way to get on ground) and the power side of the flasher.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

Measure between ground (the grounding strap stapled to the inside of the cabinet is the easiest way to get on ground) and the power side of the flasher.

GREAT ADVISE!!

I was trying to get the reading while it's flashing LOL!!

#8 12 years ago

OK, i have 50V on my flashers. It should be 20V.

The flasher wire was connected to J134 instead of J133. I replaced it but i still have 50V on the flashers...What else to check?

#9 12 years ago

PROBLEM SOLVED!! The J134 plug was at the wrong place...

#10 12 years ago

You win! Thanks for posting the solution...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 37.00
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 249.00
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 38.00
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 39.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-flasher-keep-burning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.