You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FT SW matrix.jpg
FT sw35.jpg
image-565.jpg
#1 9 years ago

The reel issue on my Fish Tales continues to baffle me.

Basically balls can enter the "Caster's Club" are normal. They travel down the ramp and into the reel. The reel rotates, and the display indicates "BALL 1 LOCKED".

But after a second or two, the reel spits out the ball back onto the playfield. If you lock another ball, you get the same result. Each time the machine displays, "BALL 1 LOCKED".

With this problem, it's impossible to enter multi-ball mode.

I've performed the "Reel Test", and everything looks normal. I'm baffled about what to check next, or how to troubleshoot the problem.

Can someone dumb this down for me, and give me a step by step on what to look for? Anyone seen this problem before on a Fish Tales?

Signed,

Desperate in Birmingham
(Les & Abby Rayburn)

#2 9 years ago

It is vital that the correct belt is installed.

#3 9 years ago

Go into switch test and check for stuck closed/normal open switches. Then check that the game sees switch closures.

The reel appears to sensitive to the belt drive where substitutes of rubber rings may have a tendency to cause problems that the OEM belt solves as Cody has noted.

#4 9 years ago

It's either:

The switch at the end of the long ramp right before the reel. That's a flaky switch.

Make sure you have the clear eom belt on the reel. Get it at Marco parts. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8614

Clean optos under reel.

When you lock a ball in the reel does a ball eject into the shooter lane? If not it's probably the switch before the reel.

#5 9 years ago

Mine did this but still recognized that balls were locked then there would be 2 balls on the playfield when there shouldn't have been got a new belt new optos new switch for before reels new plastic pulley and it still every once in a while will do it.Could be a connection on the board to or a CPU too. possibilities seem endless for my issue anyway good luck

#6 9 years ago

First of all, thanks so much for the help.

Here is what I've discovered. We changed all rubbers about six months ago, including the reel belt. So while that may be the problem, I doubt it.

We cleaned the opots, and performed the "reel test", which says that the optos are fine.

Switch 35 "Reel Entry" at the end of the long ramp is NOT working. I replaced it, along with the diode with a new one frm Marco Specialities. It's still not working. When I do a single switch test, it does not register a change of state when a ball is passed through the tunnel ramp into the reel.

When I look a ball into the reel, the DMD displays "BALL 1 Locked", the reel rotates to the rear, dumps the ball into the catapult, which shoots it up the long ramp, returning it onto the playfield.

If you continue to play, and lock another ball, it too registers as "Ball 1 Locked".

I'm stumped. Any ideas on how to proceed?

#7 9 years ago

You can check switch 35 with jumper @ CPU to see if the switch problem is playfield wiring or CPU. It's a switch or opto problem check them all also check connectors at opto board .its also possible the game thinks there's not enough balls in trough and sends one from reel back

#8 9 years ago

Have you checked the switches in the trough? It might not be putting another ball into the shooter because it thinks you are missing a ball.

#9 9 years ago

Checked all three trough switches, and they're functioning normally in "switch edges" test.

I'll get a diode and do the jumper test on the CPU, but it will likely be Friday before I can get to it. Crazy week at work--anticipating 16 hour days all week.

Again, my thanks for all the help. I could never get one of these machines repaired with the support given my everyone online.

#10 9 years ago

It doesn't put another ball in the shooter lane because your switch 35 isn't working. Get that switch to register and your good to go. The second a ball hits that switch it pushes another ball into shooter lane. Make sure you wired the switch correctly and that it is hooked up underneath playfield. If that switch doesn't work it won't lock you ball it will shoot it back to pf.

#12 9 years ago

Finally got home from the trip, and have been able to do some troubleshooting. Checked the wiring on Switch 35, and verified that it's correct. Green wire goes to the anode side of the diode.

Checked the switch with a VOM, and it's normally closed, but opens when the switch is pushed. The wire routes under the playfield to a small molex connector. Checked the switch again at this point...Switch 35 is again normally closed but opens when switch is pushed.

However, the switch still fails to register in Switch Test. I noticed when I was reconnecting the molex connector that the switch would register momentarily. I suspected a loose wire, or poor connector, but that isn't the case. I've jiggled all the wires around the connector, and when fully seated, I can't seem to obtain even a momentary switch registration...only when I'm first joining the two parts of the connector.

The switch is #5647-12693-17. Looking at the switch matrix, it looks like it connects to the CPU Board at J206 pin 2 and J209 Pin 5. Someone suggested testing it with a diode jumper at the CPU? But I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

Really annoying problem, as I'm sure it's something really simple. And that I'm an idiot. Any advice on how to proceed now? Thanks again...much appreciated.

Les Rayburn
Birmingham, AL

#14 9 years ago

Update.

My basic electricity and electronics class from High School is starting to come back to me.

I realized that the diode was simply a "one way switch". I disconnected the molex connector under the playfield again, and inserted a diode into the female side. Sure enough, the switch would register open or closed depending on which way I inserted the diode.

I checked the photos of the switch prior to the repair, but no, I had everything wired correctly. Green wire to the anode side of the diode.

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I unsoldered the wires on the switch and reversed them. White wire to the anode side. Quick switch test, and yep, the switch now registers when pressed.

Did a game play test. Started a game, and locked a ball. Ball lock, displays "Ball 1 Locked", then the reel rotates and dumps that ball into the catapult and back onto the playfield. (Original symptoms before the repair)

Still can't lock a 2nd ball or enter multi-ball. I'm completely stumped now.

Any ideas?

#15 9 years ago

I had a problem with my reel and had to bend the opto bracket just a very little to make it work properly. Drove me nut's, changing opto's and checking wire's, working great ever since.

#16 9 years ago

My FT had the same issue and it was a problem with opto in reel .Also another possibility is with ball trough ,test switches using ball and check rails for divots .A problem i had in another game was when the first ball in the trough was released for game start the next ball would roll forward but it would slightly hang up on a divot and not trip switch the game thinks there no ball there and returns locked ball

#17 9 years ago

This might not be relevant at all, but thinking about how the game works - the only time I've seen the game kick a ball out of the reel is if: 1) you're starting multi-ball, 2) you're just locked a ball and there are no more balls in the trough to kick into the shooter lane.

One thing I'm not clear on is how balls get from the reel into the catapult. I would imagine that if a ball that was supposed to be held in the reel accidentally ended up in the catapult, the game would launch it back at you. Maybe balls are falling out of the reel when they shouldn't?

#18 9 years ago

Tried looking at the problem from the other end, as suggested. Trough switches, #16, #17, and #18 all functioning normally both in switch test mode, and during game play.

Also replaced the reel belt with the OEM "clear" belt (I had a regular playfield rubber on mine). No joy there either.

Out of desperation, I ordered a new Opto-Board from Marco Specialties last night.
It should arrive tomorrow on Fedex.

I'm stumped...any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help in solving this mystery gang!

#19 9 years ago

Hey make sure when a ball goes through the long ramp to the reel it actually hits the switch before it goes into the reel. You may need to adjust that switch so the ball activates it. When testing any switch it's important to also test it with a ball to make sure that activates it.

#20 9 years ago

I honestly believe that the Reel test is not worth much. Given that the reel is actually rotating.

First of all, the reel does stop and go way too fast. It should stop at each positions in much longer intervals in order for you to be able to varify that it stops correctly (and both switches are manipulated correctly). And that balls are able to enter and exit when they should.

Second. The errors# readout does not work at all. I have intentionally tried breaking the reel at of positions with no malfunction reported by the machine.

So.

Make sure you are not seeing balls released due a ball saver sequence.

And make sure all switches relating Reel and reel feed are working properly.

#22 9 years ago

This may be crazy, but isn't there something in the settings that could possibly control that? In Features maybe . . . where it is set to 'Hard' or something . . . ? Seems I had this problem when I first got mine years ago and I corrected it through the game setup.

I admire your electrical talents! You sure have covered every nook and cranny of this thing!

I hope the optos fixes the problem. Do be sure to post what the resolution was. This is a good educational thread here for those of us who own a FT.

Mike in Kentucky

#23 9 years ago

Have you looked at the switch matrix diagnostic screen as you put a ball into the reel? I wonder if you have a phantom switch closure due to a bad diode somewhere

#24 9 years ago

Norso--I'm not quite sure how to do what you suggest. Which test displays the switch matrix diagnostic screen? Also, the habitrail is closed...so inserting a ball isn't simple. You have to feed it into the caster's club and then wait for the catapult to fire--the problem is that the catapult doesn't work in most test modes.

#25 9 years ago

Thanks to your suggestions, I feel like we're closing in on the problem.

Since I'm waiting on the opto board to arrive, I decided to hone in on Switch #35 "Reel Entry" at the end of the habitrail. I wondered if it might be a mechanical adjustment of the switch arm.

To test the theory, I started the game. And inserted a ball into the "Caster's Club" catapult. After it passed down the habitrail and into the reel, I quickly hit switch #35 manually.

That worked. A ball instantly was inserted into the shooters lane, and the game continued. When I tried this with a second ball, it too locked, and finally after three, the game entered multiball just as it should.

Aha! (I thought)...just a simple switch arm adjustment. Two hours and several tries later, I determined that isn't the issue either. The ball is clearly activating the switch, but that doesn't do it. No amount of adjustment seems to have the ball activate the switch.

Baffling...but progress.

Other thoughts now?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from lowga41:

The ball is clearly activating the switch, but that doesn't do it. No amount of adjustment seems to have the ball activate the switch.

This statement is unclear -- ball is activating the switch, but it isn't activating the switch.

Is it true that you can manually activate the switch with your finger, but no matter how you adjust
the switch, the ball will not activate the switch?

Perhaps the switch is worn and should be replaced, as the activation point of the micro-switch is too far down for the ball to make it work. But pressing with your finger does work.

#27 9 years ago

Sorry I was unclear.

I can manually activate the switch, but no amount of adjustment seems to make the ball activate the switch.

Switch is brand-new from Marco Specialty. In fact, I ordered three of them--and I've tried two. Same result on both.

I can't remember how the machine worked normally, but I notice now that when I start the game (AC power on)...the game goes through a start up routine of sorts. The reel advances one place at a time, four separate times, then it revolves one complete revolution...after that, pushing the start button activates the game just fine.

If you hit "start" during the start up routine, you get a message on the DMD that says "Please Wait". Is this normal?

Good Lord, this machine is driving me batty!

#28 9 years ago

I'm wondering about what Norso suggested, I.E. "Phantom Switches" due to a bad diode somewhere.

If you'll recall, I started off my replacing the switch with a new one. I was very careful to mark where the white and green wires went to. I even too photographs before starting to work--just to be sure I didn't screw them up.

But the switch still read "CLOSED" and would not register an activation when pressed manually. This continued until I swapped the green and white wires.

This has me wondering if there is a phantom switch elsewhere, and the wire swap just created a work around?

Can someone who owns a FT check that switch and verify that the green wire goes on the anode side of the diode? (The side with the stripe or bar)

That's how mine was originally.

Assuming Norso is right--how the hell do I go about tracking down that bad diode?

Again, my thanks. Losing my mind...

#29 9 years ago

It's normal for game to show please wait if self test has not finished. If you activate switch by hand do you hear a faint click ? Also check wiring follow to wear it connects to another switch these are thin wires and prone to breakage[att=1909113,415226 caption=""

#30 9 years ago

I do hear a faint click when we manipulate the switch manually.

Switch #35 on our machine connects directly to a molex connector underneath the playfield. We've checked continuity all the way to the MPU.

Looking at your photo, it appears that the green wire goes to the anode side of the diode.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from lowga41:

I do hear a faint click when we manipulate the switch manually.
Switch #35 on our machine connects directly to a molex connector underneath the playfield. We've checked continuity all the way to the MPU.
Looking at your photo, it appears that the green wire goes to the anode side of the diode.

I'll tell you the same thing I told you on RGP, where you ignored my advice for a week that it wasn't the optos or the reel, it was that habitrail entry switch

REPLACE THE DAMN SWITCH

It's like a $2 part. It's clearly the problem. These things are 20 years old. Click or no click they wear out.

#32 9 years ago

CrazyLevi is blunt but correct. By your information (post 25), manually triggering the switch results in normal operation. Ergo the switch is not being triggered by the ball.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from lowga41:

Thanks to your suggestions, I feel like we're closing in on the problem.
Since I'm waiting on the opto board to arrive, I decided to hone in on Switch #35 "Reel Entry" at the end of the habitrail. I wondered if it might be a mechanical adjustment of the switch arm.
To test the theory, I started the game. And inserted a ball into the "Caster's Club" catapult. After it passed down the habitrail and into the reel, I quickly hit switch #35 manually.
That worked. A ball instantly was inserted into the shooters lane, and the game continued. When I tried this with a second ball, it too locked, and finally after three, the game entered multiball just as it should.
Aha! (I thought)...just a simple switch arm adjustment. Two hours and several tries later, I determined that isn't the issue either. The ball is clearly activating the switch, but that doesn't do it. No amount of adjustment seems to have the ball activate the switch.
Baffling...but progress.
Other thoughts now?

It's has to be this switch... Bend the activator if you must to have the ball activate it. The entire habitrail could be "off" enough to create it to not activate also since the ball comes out if there blazingly fast. Might have to bend that back to level to get the ball to activate it properly.

#34 9 years ago

Since you found the switch wires wired incorrectly with the anode end of the diode soldered to the white wire rather than the correct orientation with the anode associated with the green wire.

It would appear someone has already had a problem with this switch, #35. Now you have it wired correctly, and the switch works when you manually press it, but not when the ball rolls by.

You have a new switch, wired correctly that works when manually operated.

Trap a ball in the reel ramp and block the entrance to the reel. Put meter via clip leads on the switch. On clip lead on the white wire lug, and one clip lead on the CATHODE end of the diode. Put the meter into continuity test, press the switch and you should hear a beep. If so now start using the ball and adjust the switch to where you get a beep when the ball hits the switch actuator. Go maximum ramp blockage to where the ball has difficulty passing the switch actuator. If this is working, then back of the actuator to where the ball passes and the switch works.

Now you know the switch is working. If the switch isn't recognized in switch test with your meter removed using the test balltrapped in the reel ramp there is an additional problem to sort out.
FT sw35.jpgFT sw35.jpg

FT SW matrix.jpgFT SW matrix.jpg

#35 9 years ago

First of all, I'm not "ignoring" anyone's advice. I'm truly grateful for all the replies. I know it takes time to study schematics, scan photographs, and think about someone else's problems. We all have machines of our own that need tending...so it's truly one of the best parts of the hobby when people share their knowledge.

Here's what I managed to accomplish in the hour I had available tonight:

1.) Installed the new Opto-Board. Didn't help at all...but at least I've got the upgrade, right?

2.) Blocked both sides of the habitrail rails after getting a ball inside. Put the machine in switch edge test and rolled the ball to see if it would activate Switch #35. It did on every attempt.

No time for more tests beyond that.

Also to avoid confusion. Originally, my switch was wired with green to anode side of the diode. When I replaced the switch with a new one (and new diode) I installed the same way. Switch would not activate with a ball or manually. Only after I reversed the wiring did the switch begin to register.

No idea why that would be.

My next steps are as follows:

1.) Reverse the wiring back to original and test again.

2.) Perform the test recommended above with my VOM by Minnesota13.

Again, my thanks. I know it's frustrating to watch an idiot struggle. Believe me, I'm trying my best to follow all the advice given. Appreciate your patience.

#36 9 years ago

Try looking at this:

#37 9 years ago

Nice switch matrix video for finding a shorted diode.

Lowga41 -- The reason I suggested using the meter was for ease in adjusting the switch. Once you have the switch closure indicated in machine switch diagnostics there is no need for the use of the meter.

Is your switch wired per the sketch and picture as provided in previous posts? It should be wired that way or maybe the wires are reversed somewhere under the playfield maybe from another switch.

You need to go through the switch matrix closing switches looking for anomalies.

#38 9 years ago

Let me suggest this. Go into switch diagnostic mode. Place the balls in exactly the configuration when you have trouble. In this case, put a ball into the appropriate reel position and ball trough poaitions. Go through every single switch and write down if it is open or closed. Every one! It doesn't matter if you think it is relevant or not.

Now go through the list and make sure every one is correct. Be positively sure! EVERY ONE! Any one that is closed when it shouldn't be or open when it shouldn't be is a clue.

#40 9 years ago

Joseph 'Tony' Dziedzic is a GOD AMONG MEN!!!

Like Scobby and the gang, he managed to solve the mystery of my Fish Tales reel entry switching problem. He solved the problem for me tonight on rec.games.pinball.

I had no idea that the newer variety of micro-switches differed from the originals in any way. My mistake was in being so worried about wiring the switch exactly like the old one that I never bothered to look at the picture on the outside of the new switch packaging from Marco!

Tony carefully read my many posts, and figured out that I had wired the green wire to the outside terminal of the new micro switch, when it needed to be wired to the middle terminal instead.

While I feel like a complete idiot, I'm too happy that the game is finally working to care. Tony I owe you big time!!! Thank you so much! And thanks to everyone else who suffered through watching a newbie struggle and tried so hard to help. That's what makes this hobby great.

Les Rayburn
Birmingham, AL

#41 9 years ago

I enjoyed 'suffering' with you on this one. It was like a mystery novel. SO GLAD you got this problem figured out. And . . . all us FT owners learned something from this. Well, at least I did!

Tony is also a WOZECLE owner and provides some great info on our WOZ forum.

#42 9 years ago

"Tony" certainly is an assett to the hobby....great guy to boot.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

great guy to boot

You mean . . . he is a great person to kick in the ass?! Or, "great guy (comma) to boot"? Two different meanings. I know . . . I sound like the Grammar Police . . . just having fun!

A little here!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-fish-tales-reel-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.