Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sjf2112
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I recently got a FG and the left mini flipper on the mini playfield is just slightly too weak. It sometimes makes it around the right orbit but can hardly ever get it up the Lois Ramp. I've played other FG's before and the left flipper should be able to make the Lois Ramp Shot. When I played with the glass off, I could tell the right flipper is a bit more powerful.

I've already taken apart the flipper assembly twice, cleaned it and adjusted the flipper bat to what i thought would be the optimal angle.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? I just need it slightly stronger.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 11 years ago

Anyone?
Help...

#3 11 years ago

I had a problem like that with mine. Make sure the flipper has about a little play between the flipper bat and the playfield. If the bat is too tight to the surface it will be extremely weak due to binding.

#4 11 years ago

Hi Tom, that was the first thing I tried as the flipper bat looked to be rubbing against the playfield, however it didn't help.
Is it possible it's the coil? It seems to be working at about 80-90% power compared to the right flipper.
Thanks, Steve

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

I've already taken apart the flipper assembly twice, cleaned it and adjusted the flipper bat to what i thought would be the optimal angle.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? I just need it slightly stronger.

Coils either work or they don't.

At a minimum, you need a new coil sleeve...a new flipper bushing could only help as well.

But you just might as well go ahead and buy a rebuild kit and rebuild both flippers while you're up there. The bushings are sold separately.

That way you'll know exactly where you're at by having a factory-fresh starting point.

Might want to rebuild the three lowers while you're at it.

Check to make sure the bats aren't cracked including looking underneath at the ribs and flexing them.

Personally, I automatically rebuild the flips/replace the bushings after getting a new game (unless they're low-play HUO, or I know the PO has recently done the work).

I rebuild the pops & slings too...but that's another story.

#6 11 years ago

Check the springs. I would swap them between the flippers and see if it follows the spring or stays with the coil.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

Hi Tom, that was the first thing I tried as the flipper bat looked to be rubbing against the playfield, however it didn't help.
Is it possible it's the coil? It seems to be working at about 80-90% power compared to the right flipper.
Thanks, Steve

Does the flipper lag at all when you make a shot? Does it seem to come back to rest slower than the other flipper? If that's the case it could be the coil sleeve.
If you take it off again, check the wires going to the coil and make sure they are soldered on well.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Check the springs. I would swap them between the flippers and see if it follows the spring or stays with the coil.

This is what I remember being the problem with my FGY when I owned it and had the issue. I didn't even need to swap the spring, just played with it and broke it free. I say look there.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Does the flipper lag at all when you make a shot? Does it seem to come back to rest slower than the other flipper? If that's the case it could be the coil sleeve.
If you take it off again, check the wires going to the coil and make sure they are soldered on well.

The flipper doesn't appear to lag or rest slower. The springs are fine. There is no sleeve in those mini coils as they were made with a built in sleeve. All parts of the flipper have been cleaned.

With the glass off, you can hear the click of the flipper is just slightly less loud than the right flipper but that probably makes sense because the flipper lacks some power.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Check to make sure the bats aren't cracked including looking underneath at the ribs and flexing them.

Personally, I automatically rebuild the flips/replace the bushings after getting a new game (unless they're low-play HUO, or I know the PO has recently done the work).

I'll check again for any cracks. It is a low played, very clean game (possibly HUO, as the seller stated but not 100% sure) so I don't think rebuilding the flippers will help.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

I'll check again for any cracks. It is a low played, very clean game (possibly HUO, as the seller stated but not 100% sure) so I don't think rebuilding the flippers will help.

If you have cleaned it well, replaced things I would rebuild that flipper as NM has stated. Maybe compare the voltage to each coil and see if there is a signficant difference. Like I said before, with the game off, you should be able to move the flipper slightly up and down.
On my game, I can not always make the lois shot from the left flipper 100% of the time but I can make the shot fairly well. If you can't make it at all, it's either a mechanical or electrical problem. It might just be an electrical problem. Don't want to stare you one way or the other. Sure it is something simple (it usually is).

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If you have cleaned it well, replaced things I would rebuild that flipper as NM has stated. Maybe compare the voltage to each coil and see if there is a signficant difference. Like I said before, with the game off, you should be able to move the flipper slightly up and down.
On my game, I can not always make the lois shot from the left flipper 100% of the time but I can make the shot fairly well. If you can't make it at all, it's either a mechanical or electrical problem. It might just be an electrical problem. Don't want to stare you one way or the other. Sure it is something simple (it usually is).

Thanks Tom.
I have cleaned it a few times and tried all the adjustments i can think of. It's a flipper assembly and it's not that complicated.
I'm thinking it may be an electrical problem now that you mention it. Tomorrow I'll check the voltage and see if there's a difference. I need to bring in a meter for it. I think i've run out of options on the mechanical side for now, except for replacing the coil but I doubt that will fix it (but it may).

I can make the lois shot 1 out of 10 times.

Thanks, Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-family-guy-left-mini-flipper-too-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.