TECH: F-14 Buzzing and Music during Start up

By darcangeloel

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Happy Friday Pinsiders

I recently got an F-14 which was in pretty bad shape cosmetically but I'm working on fixing her up and making it nice again . One of the issues I am running into which I've never worked on before is when I turn the game on I normally here a loud buzz from the speakers (Normally that's not too bad) but then before even the bong noise plays, I start to hear music. As I understand it that isn't normal. I am running a rotten dog MPU but I don't think that should be an issue correct? Any idea what could be causing this. The game other wise plays without issue and once I have a game in it doesn't seem to do it any more. Any thoughts / do you think that is an issue?

#2 5 years ago

I have the buzzing problem with my F-14 also. It happens to have a Rotten Dog MPU in it as well. I learned in another thread that this is somewhat common with the RD MPU. The sound quality on mine is sub par as well. I currently have a Williams board out for repair and am hoping that once I get it back and installed, that the sound improves on my machine.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I have the buzzing problem with my F-14 also. It happens to have a Rotten Dog MPU in it as well. I learned in another thread that this is somewhat common with the RD MPU. The sound quality on mine is sub par as well. I currently have a Williams board out for repair and am hoping that once I get it back and installed, that the sound improves on my machine.

So when yours starts does it play music as well? I get a buzz (Normally), then almost like circus music? It's kind of hard to describe. Then the boot up bong noise then the music continues for a while. After that it trails off and once I start a game it is no longer a problem. Interesting to know other people have that issue as well. The music quality on mine seems okay.

#5 5 years ago

I get the buzz on startup about 80% of the time. I never get the "bong" that you get with the Williams board. I then get this weird fluttering background noise. No circus music though.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I get the buzz on startup about 80% of the time. I never get the "bong" that you get with the Williams board. I then get this weird fluttering background noise. No circus music though.

Yeah the buzz at start up to me is not a big deal, especially if its common. I just wonder if something is wrong with the sound board for the weird music it plays at start up. If it's normal then no biggie lol. I'll post a video later so people can comment if they think it is normal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-f-14-buzzing-and-music-during-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.