• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF1424.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hi;
I'm having a problem with my EBD left slingshot. It fires seeming randomly about 2-3 times/game. Actually, maybe not 100% random as it seemed like it may have been tied to the right flipper and maybe 3X bonus target. Regardless, it will not fire 100% of the time with either of these inputs, again maybe 2-3x per game total.

So far I have replaced what I thought was the capacitor on the slingshots with a 0.047 mfd ceramic disk. The reason I said "thought was" is because what I thought was the cap, sure looks like a diode or resistor. Per the picture below, I just disconnected one leg of it and then attached the new cap.

I also added fishpaper between the active switch leaf and the bracket, based off a tip from RGP. The problem remains, although (this might be my imagination) it seems a little better.

Note that this is the 1984 version of the game, not the original nor the LE.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5021

Any help would be appreciated.

DSCF1424.JPGDSCF1424.JPG

#2 10 years ago

You want to reattach the diode (orange thing with leg hanging off) and replace if you haven't already the green disc cap.

The diode isolates the switch in the switch matrix and without it all sorts of bizarre things will occur. You may also have another cap that has gone bad which can also cause the random firing of other coils.

#3 10 years ago

The Schematic shows no cap on the slings so you might want to cut the leg and see if that make a difference. Definitely need the diode.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

The Schematic shows no cap on the slings so you might want to cut the leg and see if that make a difference. Definitely need the diode.

OK. The cap was added, so I'll ditch that and replace the diode.

I'll replace the diode, as if I just hook it back up, I think I'll end up right back were I was.

#5 10 years ago

You may end up back where you were because we have not found the problem yet... Like I said there is probably another cap somewhere (rollovers, pop bumpers, tilt, etc) that is bad and is causing the phantom firing. Get a NEW diode on there first and see where you are.

#6 10 years ago

Your best efforts to address this issue may be spent replacing the end of stroke switch on the flippers. This is a common "feature" of Bally's design from this era. Here is a thread where some pinheads take a deep dive on what is happening electronically:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-fires-with-flipper-activity

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

Your best efforts to address this issue may be spent replacing the end of stroke switch on the flippers. This is a common "feature" of Bally's design from this era. Here is a thread where some pinheads take a deep dive on what is happening electronically

WOW, that was a long thread. I will have to order the EOS switches, which means it won't happen for a bit. I also noticed that there was no mention of replacing the switches, just adding a cap. I may try this, since I can just run to the rat shack and buy one.

I bought a few diodes, to I can give that a whirl as well.

Thanks for all the input so far.

#8 10 years ago

Did you check the distance between the switch leafs above the playfield next to the rubber? I've found that sometimes a switch spacing is a bit too close and vibration from flipper action or drop targets may trigger the switch. Probably not it because it's infrequent but take a look.

#9 10 years ago

I think it is fixed, or at least I haven't noticed it fire in about 20 games.

Replaced all the caps on the switches.
Replaced the diode on the slingshot.
Dressed up the EOS points.
Added a 0.01mfd 500v capacitor across the EOS. Per the schematic, this was used in Germany.

Thanks for the help and responses.

#10 10 years ago

Spoke too soon. It started popping about once/game again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 179.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-eight-ball-deluxe-1984-random-slingshot-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.