Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by HighNoon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Controlled lamp issues here all...trying to diagnose. My feeble brain is getting old.

PF is out of the machine. No power, no nothing. Someone has replaced all controlled lamp sockets with 555 sockets.

If I am testing continuity from the lamp socket to the connector for the lamp driver board, why would I get continuity to the power braid stapled to the PF - all I can think of is shorted, crappy lamp sockets.

In a couple of cases if i pulled the lamp out of the socket the problem went away. But a large number of sockets seem to cause this.

Ideas?

#2 8 years ago

A 555 bulb is only going to have about 25 ohms of resistance. This is most likely below the resistance threshold that your DMM considers when doing a continuity check (i.e. when you measure resistance below a certain ohms threshold, the DMM buzzes for continuity). So, with the bulb in, I would expect you to get a positive test for continuity between the bare lamp power wire and the connector that plugs into the lamp driver board.

With the bulb out, on the other hand, you shouldn't be getting continuity unless the bulb shares an SCR with another bulb. In that case, if the bulb in the other socket is still in you'd probably still get continuity.

--Luke

#3 8 years ago

^^ 100% agree.

#4 8 years ago

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the replies. I got the PF sorted last night and it works with an alltek board - so my wiring fears are of no worry.

Thanks again -

-scott

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the replies. I got the PF sorted last night and it works with an alltek board - so my wiring fears are of no worry.
Thanks again -
-scott

Great! Glad to help.

--Luke

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-early-bally-star-trek-but-applies-to-all and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.