Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TomT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Ok guys forgive me I'm a little rusty on my early SS stuff. I just picked up a Bally Harlem Globetrotter with a sound issue game boots and plays with sound but it's not HG sounds seems to be the right roms as far as the game play, dip sws are set for tune and sounds. What am I missing?

#2 7 years ago

My first instinct is jumpers on old Bally games when I hear this. Some of the games even had soldered in jumper wires for settings. So when a board switched games you had to grab the iron and change them. So rip out the manual and go over each board setting. After that I'd think corrupt ROM or bad chip.

#3 7 years ago

The manual on page 7 shows a chart with sound options on switch 29 & switch 30 . Have you tried all combinations?

#4 7 years ago

Also inaddition to above its always a good idea to recap the old Bally boards. Sound bounds cap kits are just a few bucks.

#5 7 years ago

I plan on re-capping the board after I get the correct sounds I know the jumpers are correct on the -50 sound board and it does have sounds and a tune just not the right ones.

#6 7 years ago

What are switches 29 and 30 on the CPU set for? These change the sounds on HG to the strange electronic chime sound and change the startup tune. I have them both set on.

#7 7 years ago

They are both in the on position

#8 7 years ago

Tried them in the off position same result

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Tried them in the off position same result

Well that's interesting. My game plays different sounds when I shut those two off. Is there any chance you can upload a video so we can hear what sounds are playing?

#10 7 years ago

I'll do that when I get home and I'm going to check the dip switches also maybe one of them is bad.

#11 7 years ago

If the dip switch never closes, try to rock the dip switch back and forth. A little bit of solvent can help clean it too.

dip switch banks are as difficult as IC to replace. I suppose you can jumper it on the back side of the PCB too.

#12 7 years ago

I'll check them I would like to confirm it's the MPU so I can shoot the right board to you.

#13 7 years ago

Dip switches are good looks like I will be boxing up a couple of boards and sending them off.

2 weeks later
#14 7 years ago

the PROM was bad on Tom's sound board.

Andrew

#15 7 years ago

Yes and big thanks to Andrew for the quick turn around game is up and playing great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-early-bally-ss-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.