(Topic ID: 69146)

TECH: DMD out on TAF, what did I do (UPDATE)?

By ab3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ab3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ab3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Ok, first off, let me say I feel like I'm an idiot. Everytime I try to fix something, it seems I end up messing something else up.

So last night, I decided to put some red and green scoop lights in my TAF under the chair. Here's what I did, and I can't understand how it would cause the DMD to go out.
a) Everything powered off
b) Removed scoop, installed red and green lights under scoop, soldered each to the lugs under the chair.
c) Powered back on, and was happy to see both lights blinking. It wasn't until a minute later after I cleaned everything up, that I noticed the DMD was out.
d) Checked f601 and f602, and f601 (3/8 amp 250 slo blo) is bad. Hope to get a new fuse at Radio Shack today, otherwise I'll order and wait.
e) Game plays perfectly, every GI and flasher lights, sounds work, solenoids work, but DMD is obviously out since f601 is bad.

So what did I do? How could working under the scoop have blown the f601 fuse? It's been eating me up all night and I feel like such a dope cause my TAF was working perfectly before I got the great idea to put in the scoop lights. I still want to learn though so I don't make the same mistake again, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. If I'm lucky replacing the fuse will fix the problem, but I want to know how I blew the fuse in the first place. Thanks.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for making me feel better. I hope it's that simple too, and couldn't understand how what I did related to the DMD.

#6 10 years ago

Radio shack only had .5 amp, so i guess I'll have to order online and wait. A few more questions if you don't mind-

a) You guys seem to agree there is nothing I could have done under the playfield that would have blown f601? So is there anything I could have touched right above the playfield (i.e. near the chair when I was putting everything back together, etc.). I don't see how, but I just hate coincidences and figured I must have done something to cause this.

b) If I'm lucky, the fuse will fix the problem when it arrives. But let's say the HV needs rebuilding- I've been thinking about getting the colordmd for awhile now. Would a colordmd be a workaround to rebuilding the HV section, or does the HV need to be rebuilt regardless if f601 keeps blowing?

Thanks.

1 week later
#8 10 years ago

Ok so I got the fuses in the mail today, popped one into f601, and it blew right away. I'd appreciate any advice on my next steps.
A) From, above it sounds like a HV rebuild is likely needed. I followed pinwiki for f601 blowing, and br1 falls outside of acceptable range with dmm. Sounds like a job for someone with more skills than I have (very basic soldering)- anyone have an idea how much that would cost and a good person to send it to?
B) Is there anything else that I might be overlooking that I did while installing chair scoop lights that might be causing f601 to blow?
C) Should I just order a colordmd when it comes back into stock, and skip an HV rebuild?
D) On a related tote- the dmd in my TSPP is starting to outgas. Can I put the dmd from TAF into a TSPP (any compatibility issues?).

Thanks!

#10 10 years ago

Thanks, pm sent. I switched out the dmd from TAF to TSPP, and it worked fine, but made a horrible buzzing sound (way louder than it ever was in TAF). It's a Cherry which I understand is notorious for buzzing. Why is it so much louder in TSPP, and is there anything I can do about it?

2 weeks later
#11 10 years ago

Just to close this out, I sent out my board to Chris. He checked it all out, replaced BR2, and all is good again. I can't recommend him enough for prompt and great service, and excellent communication.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ab3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-dmd-out-on-taf-what-did-i-do?tu=ab3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.