Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jar155
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I looked through the manual but didn't find anything.

Is it possible to disable the Balrog? Does the software compensate? Does it auto-compensate - i.e. alternate scoring if the Balrog hasn't been hit after x number of games?

#2 11 years ago

How would you play Fellowship multiball without the Balrog?

#3 11 years ago

Are you trying to disable the consolation balrog? Or the balrog in general? I'm not sure if you can disable it for the fotr multiball. But you can disable it for the consolation balrog in the settings.

#4 11 years ago

Just curious, why would you want to? Is he busted?

#5 11 years ago

...did you try the game specific settings in the menu? That's where I see that kinda stuff on other Stern games.

#6 11 years ago

You can't disable it completely, it's tied to the rules of FOTR multiball. You can, as sammiesguys said, disable the consolation Balrog.

If you're having tech issues with Balrog, I went over fixes for it on the latest episode of the Pinball Podcast. That thing is intimidating at first, but it's actually a pretty simple toy to work on. If you want some specific help on it, shoot me an email at jar155 (at) gmail (dot) com and we can set up a phone call later.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks. No, I wanted to disable it altogether, not the consolation one.

It's broken currently and I'm not sure if it will get fixed by the techs for a tournament this Sunday. I was hoping maybe the ring or spinner shot might get used instead as software compensation.

#8 11 years ago

What's going on with it? I'm sure we can troubleshoot it. Like I said, it's an intimidating thing at a glance, but it's not so bad. Let's get it up and running.

#9 11 years ago

It swings out okay, but doesn't register hits. I checked the obvious stuff like broken or loose wires. I think maybe the microswitch might be bad.

It's not my game, though, but the location's game. My guess is if they don't have the switch on-hand it won't get fixed before Sunday.

It's not a huge problem. It's for the side tournament and I just need to sub in a different game if I can't use it.

#10 11 years ago

Hey now, I have been waiting to get this switch from Pinball Life etc. My Balrog stopped registering hits and is down\taken apart at the moment until I get this part replaced in him. The switch stopped working in the switch test. Did you test it?

Data East/Sega/Stern Ball Detect (blade with roller) Sub-Microswitch 180-5119-00

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1548

#11 11 years ago

Yeah, I get nuthin in the switch test. Also, if this is a standard cherry style microswitch it should make a clicky sound. This one doesn't.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Yeah, I get nuthin in the switch test. Also, if this is a standard cherry style microswitch it should make a clicky sound. This one doesn't.

My guess is that blade broke off or it's been bent sideways inside the Balrog. And it should just be a standard switch back there, nothing too fancy.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

My guess is that blade broke off or it's been bent sideways inside the Balrog. And it should just be a standard switch back there, nothing too fancy.

Dudes, I posted the part number for the switch from the manual and where to order, GEEZ!

Data East/Sega/Stern Ball Detect (blade with roller) Sub-Microswitch 180-5119-00

#14 11 years ago

Also, the switch arm may just need to be bent a little to make it responsive to ball hits.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

Dudes, I posted the part number for the switch from the manual and where to order, GEEZ!

Right, but he probably doesn't have time to order. You can get these switches at a Radio Shack if needed. Might not be the same brand, but it will essentially be the same.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-disable-balrog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.