New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 182652)

TECH: DE SW Left Flipper Showing ON in Switch Test?

By RDReynolds

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RDReynolds
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

flip logic.png
flipper DE5033.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdreynolds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Have been doing some work on my DE SW and it plays fine save for a couple weird things. I'm having an issue where my left flipper works ok in game (I hit the switch, it flips), but it's showing the switch is ON in the diagnostics. I think that's leading to a few issues in game wherein it thinks I am looking for a status update? Any idea what could be going on here?

#3 3 years ago

Yep, those appear fine. And if I hit the button, it flips. However if you go into a switch test, it never registers. It does say it is active in the active switch test though, so I think it believes it is on when it should be off from a software perspective...does that make any sense?

Example, when a tri-ball is starting it begins the animation (Imperial troopers prepping to fire) then goes into a status display before it finishes (Death Star fires)...

2 weeks later
#4 3 years ago

Bumping this one as I cannot solve it. I literally disconnected the switch and it is still showing as being on in active switch test?

#6 3 years ago

It says "left flipper" in the active switch test. I literally changed the physical switches themselves (moved the left one to the right and the right one to the left) and the problem still persists.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Yes but just because it says "left flipper" doesn't mean it refers to the left flipper actuating switch (flipper button switch). It could simply mean the "left flipper assembly" - I would be checking the EOS.

I don't believe that DE had EOS until JP. The flipper switch on my machine looks like this:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5048-01

I did switch the left switch to the right and the right switch to the left. The issue remained. So I am really scratching my head here.

Thanks again for your help!

#10 3 years ago

Yes, it does. What's interesting is that the light on the flipper board does flash when I hit the left flipper switch...the flipper also works.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yes, very interesting. I can watch that for hours.
The logic on flipperboard splits into a drive for the switch-matrix and a drive for the coil with High+Low power.
If for example the transistor for switch-matrix is shorted, the flipper and LED do still work.

So thinking replace the transistor at Q7 then?

#14 3 years ago

Was able to swap out my friend's flipper board and sure enough the problem goes away. So it's definitely an issue with the board itself. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.90
Playfields
The Super Fasteners

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdreynolds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside