Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Recently my DE - Star Trek 25th's audio crackles, like its picking up some kind of static/interference. Trying to track down any bare wires or something. Cant narrow it down.. Anyone?

#2 9 years ago

Not sure if this will help, but did you try reseating the connectors to the sound and power boards? I have had tons of issues with mine and finally decided to replace the power board as I wasn't getting a constant clean power supply.

#3 9 years ago

I did not reseat them. But I did give them all a push. Let me turn off the game and try that. Btw, it comes and goes. Totally random. May work for 30 mins, then static. I know Potentiometers can go bad, they get stuck in-between levels and can crackle.

#4 9 years ago

Re-seated everything. Crackled at boot. Then clean... But, it is unpredictable. sometimes runs for a day fine. Then the next day. Crrwwqqqqxxxqqqrrerrrrrrackle.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Re-seated everything. Crackled at boot. Then clean... But, it is unpredictable. sometimes runs for a day fine. Then the next day. Crrwwqqqqxxxqqqrrerrrrrrackle.
edit: Right after I pressed post I heard a crackle from the arcade room.

Bummer. I'm curious though, are there any other symptoms? For me, a bunch of seemingly unrelated minor issues (weird cooling fan changes in speed, etc.) turned out to have a common cause back on the power board. Really drove me nuts as I went so far as trying a new sound board and cables. The intermittent nature made it a pain to diagnose.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from krivoap:

Bummer. I'm curious though, are there any other symptoms? For me, a bunch of seemingly unrelated minor issues (weird cooling fan changes in speed, etc.) turned out to have a common cause back on the power board. Really drove me nuts as I went so far as trying a new sound board and cables. The intermittent nature made it a pain to diagnose.

I only have "random" crackle. When I am tinkering with wires trying to find a raw wire. It goes in and out when I touch metal. This could be a coincidence but it made me think the audio has a bad ground? But, I still think the problem is with the Potentiometer or wiring leading to it.

#7 9 years ago

ok. I touch/ push on one of the sound roms while the game is on. And I get..... SCOTTY HEAR. Clearly something is wrong.... Anyone?

edit: This was incorrect

#8 9 years ago

All random..... Nothing wrong with the Potentiometer. Just Crrrqqqqqqqqqqqq....

#9 9 years ago

ok. I touch/ push on one of the sound roms while the game is on. And I get..... SCOTTY HEAR. Clearly something is wrong.... Anyone?

It sounds like your sound card is rebooting when you do that. That's the first thing he says when the game boots. So, perhaps the 5v dropping out at the connection to the sound board, or earlier? My hunch is you have a bad connection on the board somewhere if it's doing it when you press down. Perhaps a cracked solder point somewhere on the sound board. If it were me, I'd test the 5v game supply with a DMM, and if that's good, I would verify all wires are seated in the 3 or 4? sound board IDC connectors well, if not redo them all (which I did to try to improve mine), and then I would reflow all the solder to the sound board contacts on the back for those IDC connectors. Try that and see if it clears it up.

#10 9 years ago

DE sound is tricky. Suffers from ground hum. Common fix is to float the sound board.

But to your crackling, I'd try and determine if it's on one channel or every channel - this would help you to isolate where it is on the board. Disconnect two speakers and see if you still have the cracking on the third. Then disconnect the first and add the second and check again.

viperrwk

#11 9 years ago

Sounds good, I will check if it needs to be re-flowed, wires, channels ect.. One thing I noticed, after awhile or actually after I play a game. It goes away, and stays good for the entire time it's on.

#12 9 years ago

Sounds good, I will check if it needs to be re-flowed, wires, channels ect.. One thing I noticed, after awhile or actually after I play a game. It goes away, and stays good for the entire time it's on.

That could very well be a cracked solder point warming up over time. With that in mind, I'd run through resolder all the contacts. Easy enough to just heat them all up, adding solder where necessary.

1 month later
#13 9 years ago

Some things I have done so far.

1. Removed 1 speaker at a time. It cracks on all 3.
2. Re-flowed dry solder points/connectors.
3. Re-seated everything.
4. Secured all nuts for solid ground.

Since it goes away after it warms up, could it be something else on the board. Some people had issues with C30 for humming?

I toyed with the idea of getting the pinsound board. So I could add more cast voices to the game and not just scrotty. The $400 is the only thing holding me back at this point. I will first try replacing what I need. Is C30 and C31 the only thing I should replace or?

EDIT: I pre-ordered the pinsound board. I think it will be really fun. The nice thing it is universal and will work on all my DE, and Williams machines.

5 months later
#14 8 years ago

Some things I have done so far.
1. Removed 1 speaker at a time. It cracks on all 3.
2. Re-flowed dry solder points/connectors.
3. Re-seated everything.
4. Secured all nuts for solid ground.
Since it goes away after it warms up, could it be something else on the board. Some people had issues with C30 for humming?
I toyed with the idea of getting the pinsound board. So I could add more cast voices to the game and not just scrotty. The $400 is the only thing holding me back at this point. I will first try replacing what I need. Is C30 and C31 the only thing I should replace or?
EDIT: I pre-ordered the pinsound board. I think it will be really fun. The nice thing it is universal and will work on all my DE, and Williams machines.

Any update with using pinsound with this machine?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-de-star-trek-25th-audio-crack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.