(Topic ID: 226017)

Tech: DE Simpsons OEM sound issues

By HighwayStarr

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highwaystarr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Good evening. Haven’t played this lately but plugged it in today to change the light bulbs in a couple cooling towers and noticed I have an issue with the sound. It keeps starting and restarting. I have posted 2 example videos below. You can still play a game and get sounds and voices but the music track keeps resetting. Not sure exactly how to fix this. Doubt it is a connection issue but I reseated the connectors just in case. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance

Mike

Power on sound

Game play sound

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

It's the entire sound board resetting, not just the music.
All DE sound boards play a line when they boot. On Simpon's its 3 seconds of the theme. On Star Wars it's Obiwan saying "May the force b.." On TFTC it's "No Pay-em, No Ga-em"
Once the sound board reboots it is ready to receive any sound or speech or music commands and will play them right away. However the sound board only gets the signal to play music as the start of the ball and only gets a new command to play music when the game wants to change the song playing. So a reboot in the middle of a ball will usually end up with the sounds and speech and no music until you lock a ball or start a multiball or start a new ball, something that will cause the MPU to send a new music signal to the sound board.
As to how to fix it, try reseating the connectors on the board. Usually a weak power supply tends to make the DE sound boards reset rather than the game MPU so new caps and bridges on the power supply might work.

Great! Thanks for the info. I've got an extra power supply somewhere, I'll swap it out after work and see what happens. I already tried to reseat the connectors last night .

#5 5 years ago

Thanks guys!

I think I have this resolved.

I came home this evening and reseated the connectors on the power supply and it seems to have taken care of issue. I left it on for about an hour and changed out the cooling tower bulbs and played some games and have had zero issues since.

i did go ahead and measure voltages.

5V = 5.0
+12V = 13.0
-12V = 14.8

Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highwaystarr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-de-simpsons-oem-sound-issues-?tu=highwaystarr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.